Order of Operations for Raw Castings

I work on large models (12 inches/ft scale). Castings like that are almost never symmetrical, meaning the machinist has to make a judgement call on where to place what's called out in the print. All part of the charm :)

I work on large models (12 inches/ft scale). Castings like that are almost never symmetrical, meaning the machinist has to make a judgement call on where to place what's called out in the print. All part of the charm :)
Very good point. One of the critics was trying to pull measurements off the screen to show the issue with the part, without any attempt to compensate for the oblique views. I cringed when I saw it thinking IMHO you really can't claim accuracy in what you are trying to do, though it obviously made me think about what options other machinists might think of. Oblique views can easily hide the limitations you mention imposed by non symmetry in the casting. I was a little surprised in my limited research to find few examples of "tricks of the trade" working with raw castings. Appricate the first hand experience.

Yep, the struggle is real! Fitting the part on the print "into" the casting is quite the art. When you get up close and personal it becomes quite apparent. There is often a lot of "fettling" by fitters that goes on post machining too.

Yep, the struggle is real! Fitting the part on the print "into" the casting is quite the art. When you get up close and personal it becomes quite apparent. There is often a lot of "fettling" by fitters that goes on post machining too.
:)

The fettling stage is where I am at the moment. I've finished machining and done a trial assembly.

It all fits together and rotates, so that's a start...

Yes it's a lovely kit. Good quality castings and very good blueprints.

That represents about 50 hours work.

Back