Orange Pi folks, where to go for decent info to get started?

Frankly, I found the Orange Pi easier to deal with than the Raspberry Pi. The Orange Pi has the emmc vs. the RPi running off of the SD card. Once the Orange Pi has the OS loaded onto the EMMC, it no longer needs the SD, and other utilities can be loaded onto the Opi via Wifi, Ethernet or inserting the SD card with whatever program you want on the Opi.

Is Debian Bookworm newer than Buster? I have been running Buster with no issues.

Use "nand-sata-install" to move the OS from the card to the emmc.

Frankly, I found the Orange Pi easier to deal with than the Raspberry Pi. The Orange Pi has the emmc vs. the RPi running off of the SD card. Once the Orange Pi has the OS loaded onto the EMMC, it no longer needs the SD, and other utilities can be loaded onto the Opi via Wifi, Ethernet or inserting the SD card with whatever program you want on the Opi.

Is Debian Bookworm newer than Buster? I have been running Buster with no issues.

Use "nand-sata-install" to move the OS from the card to the emmc.
Bookworm is newer than Bullseye. Bullseye is newer than Buster. Buster is 2 releases old.

I used nand-sata-install to flash the local flash which tells the board to boot from either EMMC or NVME. I bought NVME since I could always reuse it for something. I think nvme has much longer service life, but maybe just disinformation from the internet.

OPi5+ runs pretty well. Having issues with apt not being able to download correctly - getting hash errors and some warnings. Have the feeling that significant updates will mean basically starting all over again. Also get the feeling that if I want a particular app or program, I may have to build it myself. Sometimes that's easy, other times it's way above my pay grade.

I suspect this is more of my router, but the OPi is not making it's host name visible. So I cannot find it by pinging orangepi.local. I have to use nmap on my network to find what it's ip address is, then ssh to that ip. My RPI's are locatable via RPI4something.local from my router.

Need some recommendations. Need to change passwords and stuff. OrangePi isn't enforcing anything like that at the moment. Pretty uncomfortable with that, with an easy root password and a user with a simple login, both of which are published. Because of this, a couple of questions, basically order of operations.

0. Login as orangepi
1. Change root password
2. Change orangepi password - has sudo privileges
3. Check what groups orangepi is in, via $ grep "orangepi" /etc/group
4. Add newuser/password (me)
5. Add newuser to sudo group
6. Delete orangepi from sudo group
7. Optionally add newuser to all of orangepi's group membership?

Due to the relative power of the platform and the security holes above, I have limited playing with this much. Once I get most of the changes in, I'll feel a bit more comfortable leaving it on.

Apologies if this is linux admin, rather than 3d printing. I'll get to that once this is settled. Does this seem reasonable?

I would create and verify your user account first since deleting/changing the original stuff first might make things go sideways.

I don't keep much Linux stuff in my mind anymore but I did work on this course with NDG a few years back. It's free and covers Linux admin stuff up to about mid level.

Cheers,

John

I would create and verify your user account first since deleting/changing the original stuff first might make things go sideways.

I don't keep much Linux stuff in my mind anymore but I did work on this course with NDG a few years back. It's free and covers Linux admin stuff up to about mid level.

Cheers,

John
Gee, good point.

I was a little concerned about this because I was going to plug in a wireless card. Turns out Amazon recommended an incompatible card. Two days after I ordered it, they changed the listing and said it was incompatible. When I ordered it, the listing said it would work.

I had the part in a little antistatic bag, waiting for the CPU to show up. Today I took the wireless unit out of the package and noted it wouldn't fit in the socket. So have to return the module. So I have wired Ethernet only. I can unplug the cable and set up the OPi locally.

Created a new user, and gave myself all the privileges orangepi had, by adding myself to the same groups. Changed root and orangepi passwords to something more difficult. I can install software and do all the admin from my new user, so that's good. Will remove orangepi's sudo membership. Also installed vnc so I can get a graphic view of what's going on, but I mostly only use ssh. Added in avahi, so the device would advertise its name on the network, so I can access the device by its host name, instead of its IP address. Little fan that came with the case is quiet, so I am just running it continuously.

Pretty impressed so far. It's pretty powerful for it's class.

Only problem I am having so far is getting board support libraries for Arduino. Getting tons of java exceptions problems with SSL violations, there's a tag mismatch. Could be at Arduino's end, or could be an old out of date library used by the old OPi kernel. A little more investigation shows curl fails with ssl errors. I tried wget and it succeeded, but it needed 6 tries to download an appImage. Turns out the appImage won't run on the OrangePi5+. It was built for an RPI4-64bit. Thought it was worth a try to get the new IDE.

Seems the OrangePi5+ version of Bookworm is still a work in progress. On my linux laptop, the same downloads from Arduino, or curl or wget all work the first time. Not so with this newer version of OpenSSL (3.0.9 30 May 2023) on the OPi5+. My laptop has OpenSSL version 3.0.2 15 Mar 2022.

I may have to start all over again, and regress to Bullseye. Oh well.

git is broken in Bookworm for OPi5+, since it depends on curl, which depends on openssl. Looking like a regression will be in my future.
$ git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/arduino/Arduino.git Cloning into 'Arduino'... remote: Enumerating objects: 1139, done. remote: Counting objects: 100% (1139/1139), done. remote: Compressing objects: 100% (886/886), done. error: RPC failed; curl 56 GnuTLS recv error (-24): Decryption has failed. error: 4222 bytes of body are still expected fetch-pack: unexpected disconnect while reading sideband packet fatal: early EOF fatal: fetch-pack: invalid index-pack output

Was able to increase the buffer size for git and was able to do the download for the Arduino source. Think there's a similar setting for curl, but am still looking for it. Unfortunately, the Arduino build doesn't work and fails while it's downloading it's dependencies. Have to check what Arduino uses for downloading.

Probably dump this OS and install the third party Ubuntu variant. The author has a GitHub site and at least responds to issues. This particular Debian Bookworm on OP5+ isn't complete yet. I have no personal files or settings in this machine yet, but it's time that I could have been doing something else productive. Guess I was too close to the leading (bleeding) edge.

All I know is what you are doing is above my pay grade. :dunno: :cool:

All I know is what you are doing is above my pay grade. :dunno: :cool:
Seems like it's above mine too. A bit too stubborn for my own good at times.

FYI, Buster on OPi 5+ has vanished from the OPi 5+ download area. Buster was there a few days ago. It's two mainline releases old. I would expect that there will be fewer security updates for Buster in the future. It's a struggle, but I prefer keeping my Pi's moderately up to date, so they can't be exploited.

Back