Opinions on MX-200M versus MX-100M DRO - value?

bulgie

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a PM-728VT, and trying to decide on which DRO to get. Anyone have opinions on whether the MX-200M is worth $300 upcharge from the MX-100M? I'm on a limited budget and that seems like an OK place to trim, unless I'll be hating myself for years for not getting the 200M. Is it just the same thing prettied up, or a must-have, or somewhere in between? Any other screamin' deals on DROs I should consider instead of PM's offerings?

Intended use is hobbyist, not production, in case that matters. Don't tell me to get a bigger mill — I know, but my house is tiny. I used a Bridgeport at work many years ago and lust after one, but no way a knee mill will fit in my basement.

I know to get the best vise I can afford, I'm not an idiot. OK maybe that's debatable... But I hope to use ebay/Craigslist for as much of my tooling as possible. Been waiting for my dream mill to show up cheap on CL for a couple years now, ain't happenin, so I guess I'll bite the bullet and pay for a new Taiwan-built mill. I'll be poor but happy!

Today was my birthday and I spent it restoring a vintage bench vise and working on my air compressor, getting filthy. My happy place.

Thanks,
Mark B in Seattle

Last edited:
The PM MX100 is identical to the DROPros EL400. The MX200 is identical to the DROPros EL700. There are videos about these two displays at the DROPros web site here.

I would say yes, the MX-200M is worth the extra money.

I have the MX-200 on my mill and the MX-100 on my lathe. Now that I know the difference, I would have spent the extra money and bought the nicer display for the lathe as well. Do I need it? Probably not as I am just a hobbyist as well as being totally green to the machining world.

In my opinion you won't regret buying the nicer unit.

It's like anything though the more money you spend the nicer the stuff you're going to get. Anytime you want me to help spend your money just ask, I'm more than willing to help you spend it!

Tim

The PM MX100 is identical to the DROPros EL400. The MX200 is identical to the DROPros EL700. There are videos about these two displays at the DROPros web site.
Thanks, very helpful. Thanks also to Tim (@Just for fun) for weighing in. I do think I'll appreciate the extra graphical features more than I'll miss that $300, which will only sting for a short while.

Cheers
Mark

For me it would depend on the chances you think you will eventually use any of the advanced functions. Much more user friendly interface on the 200 vs the 100 for most of those items. If you just think you want to to keep track of movement, the 100 is fine. The real problem is you may not know you wanted/needed the advanced functions until later.

For a Mill I think it is more likely you will want to use the advanced functions. For me, the ability to add the probe to the 200 was once reason I got it.

For me it would depend on the chances you think you will eventually use any of the advanced functions. Much more user friendly interface on the 200 vs the 100 for most of those items. If you just think you want to to keep track of movement, the 100 is fine. The real problem is you may not know you wanted/needed the advanced functions until later.

For a Mill I think it is more likely you will want to use the advanced functions. For me, the ability to add the probe to the 200 was once reason I got it.

Have you gotten the probe? Curious to your opinions.

I haven't yet. I haven't even installed it on my mill yet. I just installed the lathe version on my PM 1440GT.

There are a couple of threads on here that talk about them. The DRO PRO's EL700 is the same. Search on it and I think you will find some info.

The mx200 is much more user friendly, even for the basic functions. That being said, they have bugs. The feed rate display does not work correctly, the tool library does not display the tool number, and it keeps auto changing the readout from 1 micron to 5 micron. I've been in contact with PM about it and they are working on getting a software update, but it's not ready yet.

I have the EL700 four axis with magnetic scales on my mill, the latest version which looks to be more cosmetic is the EL750 which is the same as the MX-200. On the mill, I like all the features and the display is so much easier to see then an LED. I do not have any software glitches of the newer model, but although it has a USB port I was informed that the unit needed to be sent back to DRO Pros if there was a software update. Hopefully this is corrected on the EL750. It does use a capacitive touch screen, so can be an issue with greasy or wet fingers. I use an anti-glare touch screen protector over the whole screen, I used one for computer touch screens and cut it to size. One other note, when I purchase my EL700 it only came with one short support arm for the display, I had to fabricate a second extension arm. They do sell an extension through DRO Pros, had I known, I would have purchased it. QMT/PM pricing for the MX100/200 is significantly less than DRO Pros for what appears to be the same package configuration.

I did purchase the touch probe, it works better than a wobbler, but the measurement accuracy is ~0.001", so I end up using my Haimer and Tschorn which are a bit more accurate. When I purchased my EL700 mill package the probe was $200 add on, but by itself is $900 through DRO Pros, and the tips are $130 which I find is ridiculously expensive. Tormach use to sell the same probe for $200, it is a simple 3 contact mechanical mechanism, and he replacement stylus is an M4, and replacements tips from other vendors where $30-40. The Tschorn is $350 and the probe tip is $32 from the vendor link below that I purchased mine from. Tschorn are a bit more durable and less expensive then the Haimer, the Haimer has a shorter body. I break 3-4 stylus every year from stupid handling mistakes, the ceramic tips break very easily. Always have 1-2 back up stylus on hand, as they always seem to break in the middle of a project.

EL Touch Probe with the ceramic stylus removed since I do not use it. The DRO software has adjustments for different stylus ball sizes, a shorter stylus would also be more accurate. I adjust the ball diameter for best accuracy when measuring a 1-2-3 block, and it is slightly different then the actual stylus ball size.
DRO Probe Holder.jpg

EL700 in summation mode for Z and U axis. This is without the screen protector.
EL700 DRO.jpg

Back