Opinions on a digital read out for my mill

melsdad

Active User
Registered
I have been kicking around the idea of adding a DRO to my Kent Mill. I would like a 3 axis system, but am not looking to spend big dollars on it.

I was cruising on ebay and found this model.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251436289852

Price looks good, and seems like the system comes with everything you need for mounting.

Does anyone have this particular model? I'm open to all suggestions before I make a purchase.

Thanks

You should report that seller to Ebay, the shipping is way out of line so they can skirt some Ebay fees and make up the price difference in shipping. Sometimes people buy before they catch those absurd shipping charges.

I have all the scales from DavidH on this site and the tablet to build the android DRO I just need to get the stuff I need to connect it all together

You should report that seller to Ebay, the shipping is way out of line so they can skirt some Ebay fees and make up the price difference in shipping. Sometimes people buy before they catch those absurd shipping charges.

Ships from Singapore and it's probably a fairly large box, so the shipping may not be too far out of line.

Ships from Singapore and it's probably a fairly large box, so the shipping may not be too far out of line.

Didn't really check that out, but you can see some items at "Buy it now" prices of $5.00 that are worth several hundred dollars with a $300 shipping and it only weighs 3 pounds, that's what I thought might be going on here

Hmmm, the link works for me.

www.drokits.com

Glass scales are a bit more accurate/precise and remain the industry standard.

I have been very happy with my 3 axis unit from Shars. Bought it about fourteen months ago and set me back little over $700. Very pleasant people to deal with. Glass scales and enough supplied mounting hardware for three or four units. Very nice operating manual. Like a mini computer besides being a read out. Displays to five decimal points but the fifth is kinda flakey. But then in reality four and five places are pretty flakey for home use anyway.

Once you retrain yourself to watch the display and not the knobs it is amazing how production and accuracy go up while mistakes and overruns go down.

That's been my experience.

Back