Ooops. I did it again. Another South Bend???

That is really cool. "Look Ma, it followed me home. Can I keep it, can I, huh, huh?"
IF I had the luxury of time and money I would be tempted to do a full restore on it. If it comes out nicer than the one you have, keep it and sell the older one. If you get into it and find it is not worth it, part it out to save other lathes from the scrap heap.
Only you know what you have in it, what it could be worth and if you want to take on another project.
Could be fun!

Nice find!
I'm always curious about those adds with poor pictures or wrong/bad explanations of the item.

When I got my 13" South Bend Turret Lathe the Craig's-List add only had one picture & not really any other information about the lathe.

If you decide to "part-it-out" I'm still looking for a tail stock for my 13" SB. Not totally sure if I'm going to try to rebuild the turret section yet?
I could also use some parts from the double tumbler gearbox, The two tumbler-levers are pretty worn & it affects the gear alignment.

Doug

Might be the camera angle but, that switch sure looks like it’s mounted in a terrible spot!
I've always wondered about that issue on some of the older SB lathes!
Looks like you would have to reach over the spinning stock to stop the machine. :rolleyes:

Doug

Might be the camera angle but, that switch sure looks like it’s mounted in a terrible spot!
It's in a horrible spot. A lot of the old SBLs were configured that way. On my current 13, I moved it to just left of the cone pulley.

We added a VFD to ours, built a sub-frame to hold it under the chip tray, attaches with existing bolts.

Control in same spot, ours has home made chuck key holder there.

We added a foot bar that is also stop.

Start with drum switch, vfd is soft start.

Can stop with foot or drum.

Below the light switch is 20 Amp rated DPSP used for main disconnect, pot is speed control and meter can indicate general speed or load, it is connected to a signal line from vfd.

On the drum switch we modified so it controls the vfd.

Added a 240 vac neon pilot to indicate power present.

Helps at night to see it was left on.

Photo from when we put it back together, it is ob our car lift bench.

Later used fork lift to place it.

Working on it here was great as we could stand up to do everything.
Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
9e748a35ce02b0e64043cab965c2f3c7.jpg

I have an aversion to putting a VFD on a vintage piece of machinery that doesn't need it. LOL! I've even resisted putting a DRO on any of them up to this point. Although if I keep this newer lathe, and the ways bear out to have minimum wear, I might consider a DRO. But a VFD? Highly doubtful. ;)

Having a car lift would be nice, for a multitude of reasons. Being able to lift these things up to work on them would be so much easier on my back. :)

I have an aversion to putting a VFD on a vintage piece of machinery that doesn't need it. LOL!
I also use to think like that, until I added a Hybrid VFD & a digital tachometer to my old 17" Delta DP-600 drill press. :cool 2:
My latest addition is a Powermatic 1200HD that came with a VFD & a inverter rated motor! This set-up makes the hybrid VFD seem like outdated technology.
I've even resisted putting a DRO on any of them up to this point. Although if I keep this newer lathe, and the ways bear out to have minimum wear, I might consider a DRO.
Years ago, when I first started working in a small machine shop, I ran a Bridgeport with just the hand crank dials.
I changed jobs & the new shop had digital readouts & power feed on almost all of their machines! At first, I was a little intimated o_O however I quickly got use to the new technology.

Who says you can't teach an old dog a new trick. :dog:

Doug

Back