Only I could do this...

n9viw

Registered
Registered
Not only do I manage to find the single rarest spindle nose thread in history (SB 10R, 1-7/8"x8), but I also managed to find the OTHER rarest item in history... a back plate in 1-7/8"x8... LEFT-HAND THREAD.

Does anyone have any idea what machine this would even go to?

I wrote back to Jason at Lost Creek to see if I could return this, but I don't know what their return policy on used stuff is. I may have to find an application for it, then market it to that narrow subset while I continue to look for a plate for this goofy lathe.

1-7/8x8 (right handed, that is) is a very common spindle nose thread. Usef on many South Bend Lathe models. I would guess hundreds of thousands of them were made. My 1942 13" uses that thread.

Then we're in the same boat. In my web and paper product manual searches, I've been led to believe it is far outshone by more common spindle sizes such as 1-1/2"x8 and the 10L's 2-1/4"x8. Yes, 1-7/8"x8 does exist, however hard to find extant examples may be. But left-hand? I haven't even found an application for that, in lathe or mill.

Yeah, the left handed is weird. Especially since you'd have to run the lathe in reverse to keep it from spinning off. I wonder if it was made for a tail stock or something.

As far as 1-7/8 x 8, there are plenty of those to be found. You can even by partially machined back plates in that pitch. I have one I meant to use on a 10" 4-jaw, but never got around to it.

Still rarer is my Sebastian lathe. 2 1/8 x 8 TPI. Not sold in stores.

Last edited:
Any chance it’s a faceplate and not a backing plate? If so, a larger woodturning lathe that has outboard spindle capacity will have left hand threads there but standard right hand on the inboard side.

Any chance it’s a faceplate and not a backing plate? If so, a larger woodturning lathe that has outboard spindle capacity will have left hand threads there but standard right hand on the inboard side.
No, it's definitely a back plate. 4 countersunk holes for a chuck. 3-13/16" O.D., if I recall correctly.

Attachments

• backplate1.875-11.16-1.jpg
    backplate1.875-11.16-1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 5
  • backplate1.875-11.16-2.jpg
    backplate1.875-11.16-2.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 5
Yeah, the left handed is weird. Especially since you'd have to run the lathe in reverse to keep it from spinning off. I wonder if it was made for a tail stock or something.

As far as 1-7/8 x 8, there are plenty of those to be found. You can even by partially machined back plates in that pitch. I have one I meant to use on a 10" 4-jaw, but never got around to it.

I'd love to see the ones you've found! So far, I have found exactly one. On ebay, it comes with an R8 collet chuck. $225. The same company used to have one that came with a 3-jaw scroll chuck, but they're out of stock and have been for a while, and no idea when they'll get more. Chinese, but ain't they all anymore.

I think I'll do like the savvy boys do and make one. I don't know how to thread, so I'll weld a McMaster nut to a slab of HRS and carve my own. I have access to a mill at work, I'll gouge out some slots and make a 4-jaw of sorts, that'll at least get me started.

Last edited:
I had a machine with an orphaned spindle nose but it wasn’t as simple as being threaded with a strange thread.

I eventually found the specs for it and figured out how to adapt a different standard taper. But, that machine (Bolton) had bigger problems and I got rid of it.

If I were in your shoes I’d ask if any of our members would be willing to bore and thread another adapter to match your spindle. Should be fairly straightforward to take a 1 1/2” adapter and make it into what you need. Even have them do a few which you can then finish for whatever chucks you need.

John

I was actually thinking of getting a few of those McMaster nuts. In my mind, once I made a chuck of sorts from one, I would practice threading scrap metal. Once I got the hang of it, I would thread on one of those nuts, turn down the shoulders, and size and thread it to 2-1/4x8, so I could use the 10L plates and chucks.

Yes, I could just swap out to a 10L spindle and headstock. There's one on ebay right now for $450, which I don't have. I couldn't think of any application for which I would need that extra 3/8", so I figured I'd use what I have.

Back