Once Upon a Time: Wen I Rebuilt My Drill Press

Haha, thanks!

In my younger days I was just a grass roots street racer. We didn't have lots of money or access to stuff like that. And my obseravtions on the table porting was mostly just going by the butt dyno. ;)

My butt dyno is highly accurate :grin:

I actually found that running water through the port I was working on gave me a pretty accurate indication of flow when I was building kart engines. Had to clean them out anyways so why not...

I miss porting, kinda relaxing in a strange way.

John

I do own an actual dyno though, just for small engines but it was great for breaking in engines before sending them to my customers. WEN they blew them up I could honestly say I'd run the engine at the recommended RPM before it was shipped....

John

Nice little project, makes me wanna do similar to my little wen DP.

Also, I recently discovered the new generation of crappy paint stripper. While cussing at it, I remember I used to use oven cleaner to clean chrome pipes on my drag bike and happened to have about half a can left. Worked as well or better than any old paint stripper I remember using. Took several layers of old paint off the mill I acquired from Ulma Doctor recently.

Thanks

I heard they are trying to ban those strong toxic oven cleaners also, if not already.

I used buy aerosol cans named Aircraft Remover. Whatever brand it was also sold cans labeled Graffiti Remover but the Aircraft one was stronger. Spray on let sit for about 5-10 mins, then hose off, pretty much no brushing needed. I remember that stuff used to start burning my skin if left on too long.

Jasco was another brand that worked ok for me back then, not as good as the Aircraft stuff though. The second one I bought that I mentioned was actually Jasco & only HD had it. But it doesn't work nearly as good as the old formula from back then.

Nice job on the DP.

I see you have what look like new stickers on both sides of the repainted head.
Were you able to purchase them from WEN or ???

Nice job on the DP.

I see you have what look like new stickers on both sides of the repainted head.
Were you able to purchase them from WEN or ???

Thank you.

I reused the original labels, used a heat gun to remove them & applied new adhesive to them. I suppose it may look like I got new labels but the caution labels were there before, because they are yellow & the head used to be yellow so they were not as noticeable.

Also WEN didn't have parts for the older yellow models anymore, the misc parts I ordered were for the current model. If they do sell labels they would be orange now.

20200525_212616.jpg
20200427_164137.jpg20200427_164120.jpg

Thank you.

I reused the original labels, used a heat gun to remove them & applied new adhesive to them. I suppose it may look like I got new labels but the caution labels were there before, because they are yellow & the head used to be yellow so they were not as noticeable.

<snip>

I didn't know about salvaging the stickers with a heat gun. Thanks for the info.

Back