Oliver bandsaw

Bondobob

Registered
Registered
Hi
I am a new member.
I recently purchased a Oliver bandsaw and am looking for any information as to what model and year it is.
Anyone ?
bandsaw.jpg

Have you checked over on Vintage Machinery.org?

It's definitely a wood cutting saw.
Looks like Vintage Machinery site is down :(

Yes I think so? Not sure what I have. It was used for aluminum by the last owner
The direct belt drive from motor to drive wheel makes it too fast for any metal besides aluminum. Metal cutting saws have a reduction gearbox or multiple belt reductions to achieve speeds slow enough for ferrous metals.

Last edited:
The direct belt drive from motor to drive wheel makes it too fast for anything besides aluminum. Metal cutting saws have a reduction gearbox or multiple belt reductions to achieve speeds slow enough for ferrous metals.
I plan to use a VFD to control the speed

Looks like a model 17 from the 1920s. If you have a serial #, I can find out the date but likely 1915-1925 range. For metal you will need to gear it down as it probably runs in the 4000-6000 fpm range and the motor won't have much torque at metal cutting speeds. Dave

Looks like a model 17 from the 1920s. If you have a serial #, I can find out the date but likely 1915-1925 range. For metal you will need to gear it down as it probably runs in the 4000-6000 fpm range and the motor won't have much torque at metal cutting speeds. Dave
Thanks for the information!!
I searched out a model 17 and it is listed with 30 inch wheels, ours is 32 inch. The images that I located show OLIVER cast into the base, ours has no markings. Would love to know more about this machine!!!

Back