Older Sherline 4000 for Beginners First Lathe?

Jerry Kieffer occasionally posts in some of the Sherline and Taig forums I lurk in.

He recently talked about the tools he used to build this 1/8 scale tractor. He used a Sherline 4000 lathe, a Sherline 5000 mill, a Taig lathe he has set up for doing glass work, and a 13" lathe that he uses for some of the larger parts like the crankshafts.

Jerry Kieffer 1/8 scale John Deere

There is a video at this link that shows it running and driving.

I had some 4140 and was able to cut .200" with the same insert, probably could have gone deeper lol. I think it's pushing the limits of my Norman toolpost.

I had some 4140 and was able to cut .200" with the same insert, probably could have gone deeper lol. I think it's pushing the limits of my Norman toolpost.

Impressive!

Hello all, and thanks for all the information I've been absorbing since finding this forum.

I have an interest in learning model machining with the goal of making a few simple projects, and then moving on to some beginner air/steam models, and ultimately small IC / Hit & Miss models.

My original plan was to get something similar to the LittleMachine Shop 5100 7x16" lathe to learn on, prove that I like machining, and then likely move up to something like a Precision Matthews PM1020 lathe and PM25 mill as my skills and projects increase. However, even the LMS 5100 is a big investment in an unproven hobby.

Today a 1976 Sherline 4000 came up locally on Craigslist. It includes the Sherline 3050 Milling Column attachment for the lathe base, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, and a jacobs chuck for the tailstock. This is the original US made model with a brass lathe bed and milling column and a 1/5 HP AC/DC motor. It has been owned by the sellers father since purchased new in 1976. Looks like it has been sitting for a while with some flash rust on the chucks and ways. They are asking $500, and I was thinking of offering $350. That would leave me some money to get the quick tool post and some basic tooling. Sherline also offers and upgrade package to install their current 90V DC 1/2HP motor and controller on the 4000 for about $300.

What are the thoughts on getting this as an intro setup to work on basic skill for a few years while I save up for the PM1020 and PM25 and skip the LMS 5100 all together? I think I understand the limitations of the micro Sherline lathe/mill setup, but it looks like some have tackled small model engine builds with similar equipment.

Any and all input or comments are welcome.

-mals
If at all possible try to buy a recognized name brand, will make it easier to sell if you decide to upgrade

Thanks for all the replies, and for all the helpful info.

I decided to pass on this particular Sherline. The seller didn't want to come down on price, and with the upgrades I would want to make to the setup and tooling it would start to get close to the price of a more modern sherline with a DC motor, more rigid frame, and less overall wear. I will keep my eyes open for any other similar 3" lathes while I save up for a 7" or 10".

Back