Old worn out rifle barrels to practice on

Man I just looked at the specs on that lathe looks really nice!!!! I’d definitely opt for the “micro carriage stop” option I made my own when I upgraded to a VFD on my grizzly 1440 it makes threading a dream and you can thread in higher RPMs that gets you a better thread finish.
It’s a heck of a lathe for what I paid. It’s a beefier version of the PM-1440 with more HP, Weight, and VFD. I’m thinking about getting a mill from them as well. I ordered the micro carriage stop, I thought it might help with threads, but it’s good to hear it really does make a difference

right on small world!!!! I shoot a little F-class when work permits. sounds to me like we have a lot in common my projected retire date is 2036. What’s your dog gun? Mine was a 25-06 is since switched to a 6.5x47L

right on small world!!!! I shoot a little F-class when work permits. sounds to me like we have a lot in common my projected retire date is 2036. What’s your dog gun? Mine was a 25-06 is since switched to a 6.5x47L
I use several mainly .223AI, 6mm Creedmoor, and I just had a beautiful 6BR built (Bat B action, Krieger 1.25” straight 26”, McMillan A5). It’s beautiful, that group in my profile pic is 10 shots at 100yds. First group after breaking it in.

Sweet im debating building a 223AI for PRS trainer something cheaper to shoot at practice. I’d want to run standard cheap ammo but I’d like push heavier bullets for yotes. There seems to be a lot going on in the 6mm world I’m definitely going to have to build something sometime. Hey what was the spindal bore on that lathe?

Sweet im debating building a 223AI for PRS trainer something cheaper to shoot at practice. I’d want to run standard cheap ammo but I’d like push heavier bullets for yotes. There seems to be a lot going on in the 6mm world I’m definitely going to have to build something sometime. Hey what was the spindal bore on that lathe?
.223AI is great everyone should have one...or three. The spindle size is 1 9/16” that’s the one area where the PM-1440GT was better.

I’d like 2” spindle bore like on the big grizzly GS lathe but I don’t see me ever doing a 50 but if I had to I guess i could do it between centers. Are you planning on chambering through the headstock or on the steady rest?

I’d like 2” spindle bore like on the big grizzly GS lathe but I don’t see me ever doing a 50 but if I had to I guess i could do it between centers. Are you planning on chambering through the headstock or on the steady rest?
Yeah I also decided I would not be doing any 50 cal stuff...1.56” is plenty. I will be chambering through the headstock when the time comes. My first project is going to be an outboard spider with micrometer adjustments. Should make indicating more precise and faster...my engineer mind at work. If it works I’ll also build one for the three jaw that can act as a soft jaw and precision alignment tool. What type of indicating rod do you use for bore indicating? Just trying to figure out what tooling I will need to get started

Yeah I also decided I would not be doing any 50 cal stuff...1.56” is plenty. I will be chambering through the headstock when the time comes. My first project is going to be an outboard spider with micrometer adjustments. Should make indicating more precise and faster...my engineer mind at work. If it works I’ll also build one for the three jaw that can act as a soft jaw and precision alignment tool. What type of indicating rod do you use for bore indicating? Just trying to figure out what tooling I will need to get started
I started out using traditional range rods I’ve since changed to the Gordy method using grizzly rods in the tail stock. I’m thinking about changing my set up a bit and switching to a six jaw and using the set true to dial in. I’ve noticed when chambering longer cartridged calibers that when the reamer hits where the jaws are things seem a bit tighter (if that makes sense) I think with a 6 jaw the clamping force would be more evenly distributed around the radius of the barrel instead of just the four contacting points. I’m sure it does have much of an effect but it might save some reamer life. Spend the money now before I’m on a fixed income. I’d also really like to build I high pressure barrel flush system. I’m not sure what I’m going to do first. I’d like to play around with per boring my chambers to also extend reamer life. I just worry about chatter. Have you given any thought into how your going to true actions? I like the reamer method I can and have single pointed them I just feel the benifit was worth the extra time. I also wasted money on a bolt jig I wish I wouldn’t have. I find truing bolts on centers to be the best approach using a false center on the back side of the bolt and a center in the firing pin hole. I seen where you said your considering a mill. My opinion on that would be get the longest table you can mine is 49” and it’s all I can do to flute a 30” barrel using a BS style dividing head. You’re definitely in a better spot than it on finding a good used mill I see stuff come up on Craigslist all the time in the Albuquerque Flagstaff Durango areas. I had to pick mine up in Houston. I’m finding I do more and more on my mill than I do on my lathe in gunsmithing applications.

I’m brand new to machining and I’m setting up a home shop and I want to start collecting a few old worn out rifle barrels to practice on. I want to practice indicating, profiling, threading, boring, parting, etc and I figure old rifle barrels are great for this. Let me know what you have and what you want for them. I’m Really excited to start learning...please let me know if you can help this rookie out!

SubMOA,

I see you are from PHX area, check the high power schedule at Rio Salado, South Mountain and Ben Avery, show up at the matches, and ask the high power shooters about their shot out barrels. Most serious competitors pull their barrels when their X count at 600 starts to go down, some even pull barrels at 3000 rounds. These would be AR barrels used across the course matches, 200, 300, and 600.

Hit the mid range and long range shooters as well. Tjese crowd even barrels earlier than across the course shooters.

It would be good to practice on the common type of barrel steel, which mostly are 416 SS used by competitors

Back