Old split clamp from what?

Cactus Farmer

Active User
Registered
Anyone have an idea what this is off of? I got it in a box of assorted machine shop cast offs. The bolt is 1/2" and the split clamping "thing" is a little bigger than 1/2", like 0.525. Not a finely finished internal bore but drilled better than punched.......

Odd clamp.jpg

I dunno what its for, but did you glue it to the linisher belt so it wont fall off? ;)

Cheers Phil

It's the rare vintage magnetic platen model sander. Great for not losing those pesky small pins.

Anyone have an idea what this is off of? I got it in a box of assorted machine shop cast offs. The bolt is 1/2" and the split clamping "thing" is a little bigger than 1/2", like 0.525. Not a finely finished internal bore but drilled better than punched.......

Looks like a clamp used to clamp something to a pipe. You could always add a mounting plate to use it anywhere you might to mount anything to a pipe or shaft.

That was my first thought. Maybe not much power in just a knurled bolt.

It's the rare vintage magnetic platen model sander. Great for not losing those pesky small pins.
Let me guess.... the belt sander was the only flat surface in the shop other than the floor to set something down on, and the floor was too low and would have caused you to bend down too far? :lmao:

I could think of many uses for that doodad, but heck if i know what it came off of!

Marcel

Let me guess.... the belt sander was the only flat surface in the shop other than the floor to set something down on, and the floor was too low and would have caused you to bend down too far? :lmao:

I could think of many uses for that doodad, but heck if i know what it came off of!

Marcel

Not exactly the only place, Just the handiest place and yes, it is chest high to me. Bending over is getting to be more and more of a challenge.
However, getting older is a lot better than the alternative.

I think they changed the building code. They're making floors lower than they used to.

Back