Old Scraping Class and Misc. Info

Re: Teaching a Scraping Class this weekend and next week here in MN

I was one of the students in the MN class Rich taught. I attended for 4 of the 5 days and cannot say enough good things about the class. I had never scraped anything before, just had an interest and a 9" Southbend torn apart. Richard told us on the first day that he would train us as a father would his son, and he did. He was probably the best instructor i've ever had the privilege to learn from. It amazed me how Richard could, with one look at the blued up part, identify what I was doing wrong, and explain it in a manner that really made sense. Truly a great teacher that cares about each student learning and understanding. I would highly recommend anyone that has the opportunity to participate in one of his classes does so!

I was one of the students in the MN class Rich taught. I attended for 4 of the 5 days and cannot say enough good things about the class. I had never scraped anything before, just had an interest and a 9" Southbend torn apart. Richard told us on the first day that he would train us as a father would his son, and he did. He was probably the best instructor i've ever had the privilege to learn from. It amazed me how Richard could, with one look at the blued up part, identify what I was doing wrong, and explain it in a manner that really made sense. Truly a great teacher that cares about each student learning and understanding. I would highly recommend anyone that has the opportunity to participate in one of his classes does so!

Thank You, I had a great time teaching you guys :)
If you ever need any help , send me a note or call. Rich

Tony

O'Reilly Auto Parts proably has the best price on Evapo-Rust 22.99 a gallon I just did the table on my mill and it came out amazing and that was only 2 hours since then I let it soak another 22 hours and and the t bolt slots are completely clean of rust .

Good luck Bob

P1020296 (Medium).JPG P1020300 (Medium).JPG P1020321 (Medium).JPG

Well, we definitely have O'Reilly's here. I'll have to look next time I'm in the area. Thanks for the tip. I use a bit of Prep-n-Prime, and it does a great job as a conversion coating, but I don't think I like the idea of a phosphate coating on ways, etc., or other precision surfaces.

Evapo-Rust at Harbor Freight is under $20.00 here in Ct. on sale every other month. Regular $29.99/gal. I get 4 gallons at a time for $15.00/gal. Th8is is the best studd for removing any amount of rust. Tony, that lathe bed and legs were emersed in it for less than 2 hours. It is also environmental friendly. Pour the used Evapo-Rust right down the drain. No smell either.

"Billy G" :whistle:

Nearest HF is about 35 miles away. I don't get there often.

How long does it last before it stops working, as in used up?

I keep the used stuff in an empty gal. container and have used it for 6 months. Could probably do lite work for much longer.

"Billy G" :))

Tony ,

They claim that a gallon is good for up to 300 lbs of rust I poured mine back into the

original containers using a transmission funnel and a paper cone paint filter .

Bob Gannon

Welcome to the forum, 2 Pencils. I know where Splendora is, and Cleveland as well. A cousin of mine married a girl from there a few years ago, and the wedding was held in Cleveland. About 3.5 hours south for me.

I'm considering hosting a scraping seminar in my small shop, if there is enough interest. There are a few members within a reasonable driving distance to Tyler, so if I can swing it and there are members wanting to do it, maybe we can get Richard to come down here and show us how it's done.

Good Morning,

I would e happy to teach a class again in Texas. I have taught 2 down there so far. A couple of years ago I taught a long weekend class in Dallas for a group of guys who read another popular site. I still contribute on there, but prefer this friendlier site. I had a great time accept we did the class in July during that super hot summer you had. Then I drove to Tulsa and taught a 3 day class in OK Machine and then back I drove to Plano where I taught a week long class at a Compat CNC Machine Sales where I taught them to scrape and apply Rulon and scrape it. For you who don't know what that is, it's the green plastic they glue on CNC machines so they don't get stick slip. I use Rulon, ut there is another product called Turcite that is the same thing. I would love to come to Texas to teach ya-all. Would have to be next year as I am pretty much booked up now. Check out the other threads were writing on here now. I have been talking about scraping plus downloaded some pictures and and charts that I am sure will e of interest to you. Rich

Back