Old rusty Bridgeport

patclem

Registered
Registered
I have a Chinese round column gear head mill drill right now, came across this old rusty thing. Always wanted a BP but it would have to be pretty cheap right now. What's it worth?
http://Memphis.craigslist.org/tls/4073699364.html

I have a vise that would fit. Id need to rent a truck to go get it, and id have to get a phase converter.

It just looks so rusty it might not be worth scrap.

Good luck! Agree with Charley on price! Lots of scrubbing and good paint would do wonders if it works!

David

Read the ad again, these people want this mill gone! Offer $250 with all all the tooling and materials, and go from there!

Like the man said, Make an offer. The rust would not stop me. It sound like it runs. The owner may already have a phase converter. Also keep in mind that not all BP's were 3 phase, mine is a single phase 120 or 240. My cousin bought one new in 1982 with single phase, 220 volts.

I also think I would make a low ball offer maybe the $250.00, but also have a max limit available incase you need it. One thing if your serious don't wait, call now, and go see the mill. Don't make any offers over the phone and make sure you have cash in hand when you go.

Paul

This milling machine was my grandpa's. It is rusty but still works. My uncle and dad has used it a few times over the last couple of years. It must have a new home because it can't stay where it is much longer. We also have a bunch of scrap metal we are planning to sell at the scrap yard and some long thin pieces of steel and other metal.

Make an offer. We really would appreciate any help we can get.

Like the man said, Make an offer. The rust would not stop me. It sound like it runs. The owner may already have a phase converter. Also keep in mind that not all BP's were 3 phase, mine is a single phase 120 or 240. My cousin bought one new in 1982 with single phase, 220 volts.

I also think I would make a low ball offer maybe the $250.00, but also have a max limit available incase you need it. One thing if your serious don't wait, call now, and go see the mill. Don't make any offers over the phone and make sure you have cash in hand when you go.

Paul

Looks like they're kind of at their wits end and you can save their day by cleaning up the "mess"! If they don't have to haul or do the work, you might get it for a "song". Who knows what else might be in the building. (I see a bench grinder in one of the pics) Look around. Grandpas place is probably sold and they need it cleaned out. The X has a power feed. Looks like there is a collet rack so there should be a mess of collets.

I have a Chinese round column gear head mill drill right now, came across this old rusty thing. Always wanted a BP but it would have to be pretty cheap right now. What's it worth?
http://Memphis.craigslist.org/tls/4073699364.html

I have a vise that would fit. Id need to rent a truck to go get it, and id have to get a phase converter.

It just looks so rusty it might not be worth scrap.

Looks like all the handles are there. The rust doesn't look that bad on the machine. The vise looks worse. I think I would offer them $250 to start. Bump up your offer by $50 the baulk until you reach your limit. I would insist on starting it up to see if the motor is good. Good luck

as everyone one else has said 250.00 is a good starting point and bump it very little unless it runs . your looking at a couple weeks of hard work , myself id strip it and take it to the sand blaster it'll come back spotless . as for 3phase buy a vfd save your money i run the on everything i own and have for years , 2hp 3ph vfd $145.00

Notice the wall behind it is rusted away too. This thing may have some serious rust. You better jump though cause the scrappers will be eye balling it.

I agree with everyone else. It sounds like they need to get this moved and don't be afraid to start with a very lowball offer. I missed out on a complete cabinet shop full of tools , lumber and hardware because I didn't think I had enough money. Turned out that the family took $1000 for the whole works as long as the buyer tore down the building. I thought that the phone number sounded familiar and it was. It belonged to a friend's wife father who had pasted away.
Go look with a handful of cash. Set your limit and stick with it.

Back