Old Project Finally Completed

projectnut

Registered
Registered
Back in 2018 we replaced the furnace and AC in our house. A year later we replaced the furnace and added central air to the family cottage. I saved both blower assemblies to use as air movers in the shop, but being the procrastinator I am I only finished one back in 2019. The first one has a 5-speed motor and can put out enough air to warm or cool a 3,000 sq. ft. house. I've used it several times in the shop to lower the humidity or circulate massive amounts of air after feeding the dogs bean burritos. The air flow is great enough that the platform has to be either raised off its wheels or chocked to keep it from traveling across the floor when the fan is on the highest speed.

The second blower assembly sat in the garage at the cottage gathering dust since 2019. I finally brought it home a couple months ago when we had to clear everything out for the garage "rebuilding" project. It sat at home in the shop for another month before I got tired of tripping over it, and finally decided to complete it. This week I finally got ambitious and bolted it to a movable platform and wired it up. This one only has a 3-speed motor. It won't travel across the floor on its own, but it moves more than enough air to keep things cool in the mini shop at the cottage.

Here are some pictures of the units. The one on the black dolly is the 5-speed unit. The one on the plywood is the 3-speed unit.

Attachments

• IMG_1184.JPG
    IMG_1184.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 17
Nice... I "saved" one of those once. An older one, external one speed quarter horse motor. I had to throttle the air inlets, as without a "system" to push air through, it pushed too much air. The motor got HOT. Even restricted, I've got to be careful how I use it. I use it to blow air (and fumes) out of the basement mostly. If the upstairs windows are closed, opening the back door to the house, that door will smack you in the face. Or if the upstairs windows are open, the basement stair door can be difficult to open. And this thing is just pointed out of a walkout basement door.. It's not like it's sealed up at all. It's a very bulky, awkward fan, but if you've got a job for it.... (Keeping basement air and fumes out of the living space for example), it's an amazing tool. Even with my custom pulleys to slow it down, and the air restricted, I still need a stick or a stone to chock the wheels on the HF furniture dolly it lives on. It really helps to allow me do things in my "work space" which are probably not appropriate things to be doing inside one's own home.

So that saved my bacon when my wife turned the stove top on and put a silicone pad on the burner without knowing that it was on. The thing went on fire and smoked the whole house.. I used mine to exhaust outside, it works great on high to blow everything out.

I used to use it as a tower with filters to suck all the dust and finish that I sprayed, but the tower ate up too much room..
I keep meaning to make a new table with the filters so I can put stuff on top of it... you know instead of a work bench or other flat area..
If you use an angle grinder, or spray paint having one is gold. It changes how much float there is... Right now I use my small portable squirrel cage for finishing, it sucks up the overspray real quickly and it is a small unit.

Back