Old metal star lathe

juang

Registered
Registered
image.jpgimage.jpgCan anyone help with figuring out what, where and how this works? Any help please. I think it's a gear box but not sure how to mount .Thanks

If pictures don't come out I'll keep trying.

- - - Updated - - -

How does one post pictures? Anyone thanks.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone help with figuring out what, where and how this works? Any help please. I think it's a gear box but not sure how to mount .Thanks

If pictures don't come out I'll keep trying.

- - - Updated - - -

How does one post pictures? Anyone thanks.

Reply to the thread or open a new one then scroll down until you see "Attachments".
Click on "Manage Attachments"
Then Click on "Add Files" in the box that opens.
Another box will open - click "Select Files"
A new window should open to allow you browse to where you have files on you pc.
Select one or more files to upload and click open.
I think you can figure it out from there, if not, let me know.

Dan

I am not familiar with "metal star" lathes but I do remember that Seneca Falls made a few lathes with a Start emblem. They had all sorts of drive systems available. Do any of these images look like your lathe? (images from Tony's Lathe UK site).
img0.gif

img13.gif

img48.gif

img0.gif img13.gif img48.gif

yes that exactly the brand I have , I have the gears but cannot figure out how they go attached to the lathe. Any pics of that.

Thank for your help.

...I have the gears but cannot figure out how they go attached to the lathe. Any pics of that.

I couldn't locate anything with that sort of reduction gearbox, but I suggest you look at this link for inspiration: http://www.lathes.co.uk/senecafalls/

Also, check out http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=734&tab=3

That gearbox may have been added aftermarket so suit the PO's requirement. Have you determined the reduction ratio? Can you provide pictures of your lathe?

I'll post some pics. I have not figuered out the gears yet. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Hi, I believe that gearbox is exactly that, a 3 speed plus reverse gearbox out of an automobile, mounted upside down (the drain plug is on the top and the filler should be on the raised portion facing the camera.) with the belt drive on what would normally be the output and the spline input shaft now the output ( with the nipple for the bushing removed.). Many people did stuff like that for all kinds of applications way back when.

Don't kill me if I'm wrong, but that would be my guess.

Thanks for the info Rusty. Now all I need is to get that car that the transmission came out of. Jk. I'm glad someone knew what this is.

Back