Old Bridgeport power feed not 6f/8f

Threadkiller

Registered
Registered
Hey all. My Bridgeport power feed has developed an annoying leak it seems where the drive motor meets the gearbox. Does anyone know what this power feed is called? Searching only brings up 6f and 8f or the new servo type...I need to possibly get an exploded view or at least find out if/where I can get parts for it.

Attachments

• D6A91BF1-89D9-48A9-A1C3-F610244CF333.png
    D6A91BF1-89D9-48A9-A1C3-F610244CF333.png
    374.6 KB · Views: 28
Reach out to H&W Machine or Besmer Machine. They may be able to tell you. I've never seen one that looks like that.

Man is that an old one . I had that PF unit back in the 70s on my first BP and replaced it with a servo unit . That was quite a bit of weight hanging on the table . I have an 6F I think on my mill now which is OK but I still prefer the servo 150s when I can find them . I'm not sure if anyone would still support those old units , keep us posted .

People seem to call them "Bridgeport gearbox power feed". Mine has one as well. Mine works, mostly. There are a couple of gears that sometimes slip, I avoid those. I used to have an exploded view, but I can't find it. Hate it when that happens. I think mine might be leaking in the same place, but it's very slow, a drop a month or so. When I cleaned up the mill, I pulled it off and changed the oil, it was pretty gross.

I looked into fixing it up, but parts are almost non-existent and complete units are hard to find, also might have the same sorts of issues. I decided that since the oil on the machine itself is a total loss setup, I'll just top off the feed unit once in a while. :)

If it decides to break down, I'll probably just buy a more modern unit. Other than the weight, it works fine and gets the job done.

Man is that an old one . I had that PF unit back in the 70s on my first BP and replaced it with a servo unit . That was quite a bit of weight hanging on the table . I have an 6F I think on my mill now which is OK but I still prefer the servo 150s when I can find them . I'm not sure if anyone would still support those old units , keep us posted .
I reached out to H&W and they don’t offer anything for it...I debated just pulling it off and getting a newer model

People seem to call them "Bridgeport gearbox power feed". Mine has one as well. Mine works, mostly. There are a couple of gears that sometimes slip, I avoid those. I used to have an exploded view, but I can't find it. Hate it when that happens. I think mine might be leaking in the same place, but it's very slow, a drop a month or so. When I cleaned up the mill, I pulled it off and changed the oil, it was pretty gross.

I looked into fixing it up, but parts are almost non-existent and complete units are hard to find, also might have the same sorts of issues. I decided that since the oil on the machine itself is a total loss setup, I'll just top off the feed unit once in a while. :)

If it decides to break down, I'll probably just buy a more modern unit. Other than the weight, it works fine and gets the job done.

Mine unfortunately leaks more than that. I mean eventually it’ll be out of oil and stop leaking right lol...I’ll probably just pull the thing off take it apart and see if it’s a gasket that I could make or a seal I could source from McMaster or something

I don't think I would be wasting any time with it. Take it off and replace it. You might need a screw extension shaft like what is needed to adapt a table that used to have a 6F or 8F on it.

I don't think I would be wasting any time with it. Take it off and replace it. You might need a screw extension shaft like what is needed to adapt a table that used to have a 6F or 8F on it.

Agreed . I may have an extension or two laying around in some drawers and I know they are needed for swaps of different units . :grin: That motor and gearbox will accelerate wear on your table but most likely , it's on an older BP to begin with .

So I have ball screws on my x and y...would I have to cut the lead screw to put on a servo type unit? You guys are saying extensions? I’m confused lol

More than likely yes.
Because the CNC's put the drive motor below the screw and run it off a belt.
You have to be careful running a manual Bridgeport with ballscrews...under the right circumstances it will take that handle right out of your hands.

It’s not Cnc just manual. Again I’m sorry for being confused I’m a total noob at all of this. How would the handle get taken out of my hands on a manual machine?

Back