Old Axle

kvt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Ok, I have an old axle out of a friends 1 ton truck, I was making something and though it would be nice material. Problem is what to cut the thing with. Band saw did not even seem to phase it. I have a 4.5" angle grinder with some metal cutting disk. no torch or anything of that nature. Also once I finally get a section cut out of it, WIll I be able to turn it on a mini lathe.

axles are hardened , some have a type of case hardening for lack of a better term that might run .020 - .030 Deep And some will be hardened all the way threw .

axles are generally pretty good material Once anealed soft enough to work .

If you live outside of town build yourself a nice little bonfire and throw the axle on top .
once it's cooled back off it will be soft enough to work

If you live outside of town build yourself a nice little bonfire and throw the axle on top .
once it's cooled back off it will be soft enough to work

My experience with hardening and annealing is limited. I have done both successfully a few times, but I'm certainly no expert. I have done a fair bit of reading up on it though in the past.
My knowledge base on annealing suggests that throwing it in a bonfire probably won't do the trick. But if you've had positive results with that method then by all means I'd say give it a try.
What I know (or think I know) about annealing is that the metal has to be brought up to full hardening temperature (glowing bright red) and then cooled very slowly. (basically the opposite of hardening)
My method is to heat it up bright red and then bury it in a pail full of vermiculite.

Try this:

The thing in the middle is a truck axle. I have had good luck machining it after firing.
It may not be perfectly straight any more but you will be able to machine it.

IMG_0614.JPG

I have a small forge made from one of the small Freon tanks, It will prob get it hot, but not big enough to put the whole thing in at once. Well maybe if chopped up. Thus trying to figure the best way to make it into say 8 to 10 inch chunks Without spending all day or being expensive. I know if I had an OA system I would just cut it with that then throw it in the till bright red and then shut it down. I know it should get hot enough as it melted a whole in my pot one time while melting Brass, (boy was that a mess) I know the band saw just did not hack it.

Some axles are machinable and some like the one you have are hardened beyond what carbide will cut.
Your angle grinder with a cutoff disk should work or an abrasive saw makes short order of them.

Greg

Another tool for the list. That would prob cut a bit faster than the angle grinder.

Axles are only SELECTIVELY hardened,where they bear on bearings,and at the splined end. Test the axle with a file,and where it is fileable,just cut off the hardened areas on each end. If you have a big bonfire going,or a good fire in a barbecue pit,put the axle in there and retrieve it next day when it has slowly cooled off. I have a wood burning stove that I have annealed quite large chunks of hardened steel in. I just let the stove get very hot and burn all night till it uses all the wood and cools SLOWLY down. The key word is SLOWLY.

I have used axles years ago to make milling machine arbors as they are good 4140 steel. I still have a few laying around.

Back