Old atlas 12-36 needing parts diagram

JRH,

The switch box was only there for about the first year. Same with the two-piece change gear cover and the round knob instead of crank on the compound. If yours has two of the changes but not the third, it must have been made late in 1936.

The serial number stamped into the front way is in the area that neither the tailstock nor the carriage run on. And near but not right at the right end. There were two locations for the nameplates. Right end (which seems to be later) and on the rear of the bed about 1/4 of the way from the right end. With babbit bearings, if yours has back gears it is either a 101.07380 or an early production 101.07381. Which style of legs does it have (almost square, and symmetrical left to right, or sorta trapezoidal and not symmetrical)? That was the fourth change between "1936" and "1937".

The blue paint could be original. It's hard to say as the only vintage color photographs we have of the early models are in the Craftsman catalogs. And who knows how accurate the colors in those are.

Robert D.

Thanks Robert D. The feet are the same as dlane's photo, nearly symerical. There are back gears. The color is very close to the blue on Rick Leslie's lathe. No tag on the back or the end and no evidence there ever was one. I am unable to find the serial number, probably my old eyes. One day when my sons visit I'll get them to look for it. Thanks for the information. Narrowing it down to one of two model numbers is great. I have been lurking on this and other sites for quite a while, learning and accumulating info. Now it's about time to clean this old lathe up and get it working again. jrh

Based on the pictures and previous posts I have a similar era lathe 101.07381 (still has name plate).
I've had it for a couple of months now and slowly getting it in shape.
Am attaching pic, parts list from Clausing and threading chart.
Feel free to email me if I can help at mike-dot-junk-at-nethere-dot-com if I can help.

381_ThreadingChart.gif AtlasLatheLube.gif 01212_v94JOhS92H_600x450.jpg

Attachments

• craftsman-101.07381_parts.pdf
    412.9 KB · Views: 12
Mike,

The photo that you attached is of a Timken bearing lathe, probably a 101.07302 or 101.07301. 101.07381 has babbit bearings.

Back