Old 1906 treadle lathe needs help

Chester

Active User
Registered
Hi, i have posted this lathe in Other Lathe Brand, I am thinking I could reach more people here. The picture are of a Carroll Jamieson 1906,( treadle, foot powered or pedal?), lathe. the only number I can find is on the lead screw holder by headstock, A00. She missing the treadle assembly and a broken handle on tailstock. I have no ideals where to start. I believe this to be a special lathe, that one day I would like to see it in on local historic museum. This is for all generation and generation to come. Help is what I need, so please give any advice you can on where to start, getting parts, stripping paint or anything you can think of. Thanks Chester

Picture 008.jpg Picture 020.jpg Picture 012.jpg Picture 013.jpg Picture 022.jpg Picture 023.jpg Picture 018.jpg

Sorry I can't help you with the parts, it looks as if someone converted it in the past, probably couldn't afford the 4000 calorie breakfast to get it started. :tiphat:

Sorry I can't help you with the parts, it looks as if someone converted it in the past, probably couldn't afford the 4000 calorie breakfast to get it started. :tiphat:
Yes it did had a motor with a homemade countershaft when I purchase it, didn't know of brand or type until I got it home. Who needs a walking treadlemill when you have this? Chester. Thanks for the joke, it was good.

I think your primary resource for parts is going to be that sketch you have. Parts like treadles are extremely had to find, even for the most popular brands of early lathes. Replacement parts are usually manufactured one-off, as in making wood molds and having parts cast. The black finish is most likely japanning, a black lacquer.
Do you make wood mold or have one made for you, where do you have it cast? Thanks for reply, you gave me something to think about on starting point, Chester

You can do either. I'm sure there are hobbyists on this forum who have made molds and can give advice. Most casting shops have pattern-makers on staff as well.
I am going read and listen first before I do anything like this. May start taking old paint off,(been repainted), which is better, using paint stripping or sand blasting? Thanks Chester

My opinion would be to use a chemical stripper. Sandblasting can change the metal surface, and you can get sand lodged where you don't want it. Plastic media blast is another way to go. If it gets lodged it doesn't hurt anything.
The chemical stripper sounds like a plan! Thanks once more Chester

Does any one know how to get parts for a old treadle lathe? Chester

what a beautiful project that looks to be. . . .
are there "bosses" for the orig. cross shafts for the pedal arrangement ? I would attempt to find more photos or sketches from each end of how it was operated and then start making parts out of wood, only so you could see if what your doing is going to work. I wish you were closer. a lot o stuff could be easily cast in aluminum and done in a small at home foundry. there are a few really talented folks on the casting forums that could guide you better than I. take lots of pictures as you work on it. us dudes here like pictures. . . good luck

Do you make wood mold or have one made for you, where do you have it cast? Thanks for reply, you gave me something to think about on starting point, Chester

Chester, why would you need a casting? Treadle lathes work with a pitman arm to convert up & down motion to rotary,or the opposite.I made a sash saw years ago and needed reciprocal motion to the sash.I made a pitman arm from 3/4" 1018 cold rolled steel.Heated it cherry red and made the 90° bends.Make the flywheel as heavy as possible.
I made a treadle lathe,wood not metal use and got fancy with spoked wheels.Lousy idea,needed more mass. Remade the flywheel 4" thick ,30" diameter.This worked well. Finally after years of pedaling I converted it to electric,probably the owner before you did the same.Study the drawing,like another post recommended make the parts in wood first to make sure the design will work.
mike

Back