Ok.. So I am Playing Around

Is there any reason a pneumatic die grinder couldn't be mounted? of course control would be odd since it's lever activated.

Edit...nevermind I see I missed half the thread. Where are my glasses?

I machined the cast iron backplate for my 4-jaw chuck last week and used aluminum foil to keep the grit off the ways: cheap, and it worked great.

I'm having a terrible time this week missing details of things I'm reading. Ball valve makes total sense.

I have a couple of them, they may be the loudest air tools, I own

At some point I gotta get a dumore but I have to get one that is large enough to work on a 10" lathe and whatever I get next. That's why I bought a Bxa tool post. (which has already been throughly shot down due height and so forth.) I don't have a clue how to size a tool post grinder. I do however have a die grinder and all I'd be out is material to hold it. Have you guys had good luck using one? I have a suspect chuck that has "special" jaws I'd like to return to normal jaws. :)

At some point I gotta get a dumore but I have to get one that is large enough to work on a 10" lathe and whatever I get next. That's why I bought a Bxa tool post. (which has already been throughly shot down due height and so forth.) I don't have a clue how to size a tool post grinder.

Sizing a tool post grinder would be the same as sizing a QCTP. You'll need to know the distance from the top surface of your compound slide to spindle centerline. Then check Dumore's documentaion (manuals) for base to spindle centerline dimension & see which one will work for you. As long as the Dumore fits within the max dimension of your lathe, you'll be fine, height is adjustable on the Dumore.

The smallest Dumore is the 14, next size up is 44. It'll most likely be one of those two. 14 is listed for 7" lathes & 44 is listed for 8"-14". But really you have to check dimensions to be sure since all models of lathes are different.

I first had the baby 14, really it's way too small for my 12x lathe and it's rated at 1/14 HP but I got it cheap. I just made a riser/spacer for it to work. A few months ago I scored a 44 for cheap. Now this one is better suited for my lathe & is 1/4 HP. I haven't tried the 14 yet but it fit my lathe with no modification. Even though I have a 44 now, I'm still going to keep the 14 as well.

I have not tried a 1/4" air die grinder & I'm thinking one might actually be more powerful than the baby 14 but a real tool post grinder will be much more rigid & give you better results. A die grinder will do the job but if you really want better results or grind often be sure to keep a look out for a Dumore or Themac, etc.

Sizing a tool post grinder would be the same as sizing a QCTP. You'll need to know the distance from the top surface of your compound slide to spindle centerline. Then check Dumore's documentaion (manuals) for base to spindle centerline dimension & see which one will work for you. As long as the Dumore fits within the max dimension of your lathe, you'll be fine, height is adjustable on the Dumore.

The smallest Dumore is the 14, next size up is 44. It'll most likely be one of those two. 14 is listed for 7" lathes & 44 is listed for 8"-14". But really you have to check dimensions to be sure since all models of lathes are different.

I first had the baby 14, really it's way too small for my 12x lathe and it's rated at 1/14 HP but I got it cheap. I just made a riser/spacer for it to work. A few months ago I scored a 44 for cheap. Now this one is better suited for my lathe & is 1/4 HP. I haven't tried the 14 yet but it fit my lathe with no modification. Even though I have a 44 now, I'm still going to keep the 14 as well.

I have not tried a 1/4" air die grinder & I'm thinking one might actually be more powerful than the baby 14 but a real tool post grinder will be much more rigid & give you better results. A die grinder will do the job but if you really want better results or grind often be sure to keep a look out for a Dumore or Themac, etc.

Great information! Thank you.

I honestly didn't know about any other brands of tool post grinders. I'll look into Themac. Are they cheaper? Or are they all about the same? Dumore's seem to go for big bucks if you get one that is complete with a box and all. I've seen some giant dumore so big they have to be shipped on a pallet!

Great information! Thank you.

I honestly didn't know about any other brands of tool post grinders. I'll look into Themac. Are they cheaper? Or are they all about the same? Dumore's seem to go for big bucks if you get one that is complete with a box and all. I've seen some giant dumore so big they have to be shipped on a pallet!

I don't know too much about Themac but they look nice. I do know they are not nearly as popular as the Dumore name & yes they are expensive. New compared to Dumore I have no idea. But in the used market, they go for much more, since they're not as popular, you don't run into them used very often like you do with Dumore.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out Stefan Gotteswinter's video series on the tool post grinder he made.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4DLsnt4L2vQW2VIiOf-gciXb5N0iEvHQ

Back