Ok, I give up. 7 start thread

I will get back to this I promise.

Don't rush it man!
It sounds like you got a gentle warning this time of consequences.
My advice is to reduce your work days for a while and slowly build a little back.......but NOT to 100%.
We all love our shop time, but "everything in moderation".

We'd rather have you here part-time than not at all! ;)

-brino

I understand the obsession with a project. Especially when it should work but it isn't. I have been known when we had the Sputtering shop to not leave the shop for several days working issues out. Have gone 48 hours without any sleep. Of course I was in my early 50's when I did this. Was putting in an average of 80 hours per week for three years while we built up our shop and business, I did this Monday through Friday. Saturday and Sunday I did not work. But not like I did much more than sleep. Get up, get coffee, start to watch some TV, wake up start to watch something else, wake up and ..... well you get the drift.

Ended up pushing an angina attach which lead to two stents in my heart. Sometimes we get lucky and we have loved ones that can save us from ourselves. Thankfully my wife put her foot down. Thankfully your wife did the same.

Take care and God Bless, and don't worry, the G-Code will be there when you get around to it. May even have one of those A hah moments when you get back.

Thanks guys. Nice to know I have friends here.

Yes the code will still be there, but as far as a-hah moments that remains to be seen ;)

Please take care, we're not 25 anymore :)

Well I finally got back to this.

Got a 9 start thread made after a few tries. Broke my custom ground tool I made up on the first try. Had the diameter set the same as the 7 start and for some reason it took too big of a cut and broke. Same feed, same depth of cut, same major diameter. So I offset it .05 and ran it and it worked. Then set the offset to 0 and ran it again. Then had to run it a third time to deburr it.

That's an extra 5 minutes to run a duburring pass so my big plan was just to run one pass per thread start. Well that didn't work. Split the thread. So I'm stuck running the full tool path.

But I've got a good part. Have to do a little hand deburring but not too much.

20201219_115735.jpg

Last edited:
That was much less dramatic than the last one :) I know what you can work on next, I have Richmond, and GForce transmissions, and need a printed trans belly cradle for the transmission jack that has a flat platform. It would be so much easier to secure, and pull transmissions:encourage:

Yes much less. All the hard work was done on the first one.

So, why do you want me to work on the cradle? Sounds like a job for a pro ;)

You know manual transmissions, and have a 3D printer :grin:

I don't have either of those transmissions. Can't work on something if I have no pattern to go off of :)

Build a shallow box the size of your tanny jack.
Cutouts at each end so it looks like a cradle.
Wrap a layer of thin plastic (drop cloth plastic) over the trans.
Modeling clay or RTV at each end to seal the trans to the box ends
Inject epoxy, some other casting resin, or thin set mortar in the box.
Hydrostatic pressure will force the plastic up against the trans for a decent fit. Pull trans and peel the plastic off the now-hardened filler.

If you've been clever you've set some tie-down eyebolts through the side of the box that get locked in during the casting.

Instant custom cradle.

Back