Oiling Hole for Bush Bearings

JFranc

Registered
Registered
Hey all, first post on this forum. I'm fixing up this old grinder (new belt, wiring, etc.). I had assumed that the two holes in the bearing area of the casting were oil holes to allow the bush bearings to be lubricated, but it turns out they don't go through the bearing sleeve, and therefore do not actually allow lubrication. Do you think I should remove the shaft and drill them through to allow oiling, or do these holes serve some other purpose? If not, how are you supposed to lube this thing?
IMG_3226.jpgIMG_3232.jpg

Welcome aboard!
i would consider drilling through to create oil passage would be a good thing.
you may wish to make plugs for the holes so you can keep grit intake to a minimum after lubrication
20 or 30 wt ND (non detergent) oil is best for this application- i would lean to 30wt unless low temperatures are encountered in your shop

You might even consider installing a couple of these:

Ted

The bushings are likely sintered bronze (Oilite), and need not be drilled, as the oil will seep through them, and drilling would allow grit to infiltrate and wear the bushings and the arbor; leave well enough alone. Adding spring top oil cups would be a plus.

good indicator that this is the case, would be if the bushings are in good condition, i.e. good fit on the shaft with little to no play. If not, then probably best to remove and replace. I see John beat me to it. Looks like I lost the first part of my message anyway. Mike

The bushings are likely sintered bronze (Oilite), and need not be drilled, as the oil will seep through them, and drilling would allow grit to infiltrate and wear the bushings and the arbor; leave well enough alone. Adding spring top oil cups would be a plus.
i didn't consider oilite bushings.
if that's the case, you are 100% correct- no holes are necessary! :)

I appreciate the replies. I didn't know that Oilite bronze existed, very good to know! I suppose I'll skip the drilling and get some of those oil cups on there. Very cool.

I like that old motor- very stylish
-Mark
I agree. That motor is a work of art. Could you post a picture of the motor plate?

Also, the drill grinding jig is fantastic. It appears to have Art Deco styling! Is there a manufacturer name on it? The blue wheel is a beast compared to the size of the motor. What diameter is it?

And to round it out, the electrical switch is a classic. Likely not safe but extremely cool.

Craig

In any event, if you have to drill a hole, the hole only needs to be a dozen thou in diameter, and the smaller the better.

Back