Oil Sight "glass"

Shopsweeper

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Both my VN12 and my Clausing 6913 have plastic (looking) oil level indicators. I have been thinking of cooking up some kind of replacement inpired by this: http://www.gis-store.net/3-D-BullsEye_c86.htm

Its a "3d" oil sigh indicator that really looks like an acrylic jar poking out of your machine a bit. I can't decide if the poke-out (and related smash danger) would be worth the enhanced visibility.

Any opinions?

I would be scared for the same reason. Knock it off and watch the oil hit the floor.

I made new sight glasses for my lathe using clear plastic cut from sheet using a hole saw without the pilot drill and turning to size in the lathe.
Pierre

For that price, you would be better off buying the acrylic and making them yourself.

Those sight plugs on that site remind me of those plugs you use when setting the timing on the Harleys.

I needed to replace the sight glasses on my lathe. The first one I took over to the local glass shop, and they cut me one. Though it did take the guy several trys . I guess it was because it was a circle was the problem. He did manage to get it done, and only cost me a coffee for payment.

The second one, I had a piece of 1/8 thick lexan, and just marked it off and used the jig saw to cut it out slightly over size. I used the belt sander to smooth it out, and bring it to final size. That was a few years ago, and both are holding up very well.

Replacing the sight glass can be a different affair depending on how they are mounted in.
Mine where just held in with a metal ring and a paper gasket on each side of the glass. Replacement on mine was very easy, but Ive seen some that looked much more difficult to work on.

Either way you go, good luck with it.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the first one I replaced was on the headstock, and I hit the glass with the chuck key and cracked the original glass. So I wonder how things would go if it was sticking out?

These are what I made to replace the missing ones on the lathe. Just a scrap of plastic plex or something like it.
I thought of using an o-ring to seal but used automotive sealer instead.

installed.jpg as-made.jpg

They want $20 for a new sight glass for the VN #12.

I had another thought. I love the look of those old-fashioned brass and glass engine sight glasses. Any way to use a reducer on the hole in the gearbox to install one of those? You get a lot clearer reading with that then the flat glass that came with the mill.

I am thinking about scoring some acrylic rod (http://www.amazonsupply.com/cast-ac...LEZ86/ref=sr_1_9_seeall?sr=1-9&qid=1353161609) and making a more bowl-like (and less jar-like) shape than those linked above. Like a bubble poking out a bit maybe.

Shopsweeper,

I have a piece remaining from a project you can have. It is 3/4 inch in diameter (see photo) and was a towel rack in earlier life.
PB170035.JPG
Picked it up at a yard sale, $1 for two. I always look at things as material, not what they were sold for. PM me with an address if interested and I will drop it in the mail. There are a couple of straight pieces left in it. One about 1" long and one about 2" long.
Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

PB170035.JPG

Shopsweeper,

I have a piece remaining from a project you can have. It is 3/4 inch in diameter (see photo) and was a towel rack in earlier life.
... PM me with an address if interested and I will drop it in the mail.

Benny,

You are very kind. I measured my lathe and my mill and I think 3/4 is going to be JUST to narrow for either. But I sincerely appreciate the offer. I might try your methods around here next week when I am off work at yard sales and such.

Devon

I'm known to lust after trick hardware.before-after-new.jpg
Sorry. Late repetition.
<same as="" starter="" post.="" yikes!="" i="" am="" slow="" today.="">
</same>

before-after-new.jpg

Last edited:
Back