Oil or Grease Cotton or Felt

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I picked up my new Timken Bearings today for the Clausing 100 spindle. They are taper roller bearings. My question is what the best Oil or Grease, and is Felt or Cotton the best wick for Oil. I have even put new oil cups on the head stock. So, I am prepared for oil but just a matter of screwing the cups out and screwing Grease fittings in. Also looking for a source for felt wicking. Thanks in advance for all who comment.

I'd say oil and felt wicking or multiple strands of wool yarn, grease makes a mess which attracts chips, etc, best to stay away from, grease would also create heat at higher speeds, something that precision bearings do not like.

Wool works well for capillary transport of oil, cotton is good for absorbing oil and gradually releasing it. Cotton waste was widely used in oiling cellars where oiling was more infrequent, such as on babbit bearings on machinery and steam engines. Wool is used on wick fed bearings where there is a cup for the oil with a standpipe in the center that leads to the bearing being fed iol, the wool yarn is stuck down the standpipe towards the bearing and the other end resting in the oil reservoir, the capillary action sucks the oil over the standpipe and down the bearing Pipe cleaners also work well for feeding oil in the same manner.

Oil for sure, not grease. These are not automotive wheel bearings; the rotational speeds are higher
I like John's pipe cleaner idea

When grease is used, it should be used sparingly, perhaps twice a year in frequent usage of the machine, and only a shot or two at each instance, more invites overheating and possible bearing damage, best to use oil.

The manual for my Craftsman/Atlas 12" lathe with Timken tapered bearings calls for non detergent 20w oil.

Curious the oil vs. grease must not be a fast rule.

Most all electric motors have grease zirks, even my VFD rated to 5000 RPM 10HP lathe motor.

I would also suggest oil and felt wicks, but also agree oil vs grease isn't an absolute rule. The Sheldon No. 0 horizontal mill I just bought has grease fittings for the headstock bearings. They don't specify what kind of grease, but clearly point out grease for them while other areas get oil. I suspect it could be due to the fact that chips would have a hard time getting to them since they're well above the table and inside of the main casting.

Mcmaster-Carr has a really good selection of wicking felt. I needed some for the G&E shaper and that's where I got it. I'm pretty sure Clausing still sells them, but the shipping would likely be more than the items, but if you need any other parts it might make sense...bundle them together.

Curious the oil vs. grease must not be a fast rule.

Most all electric motors have grease zirks, even my VFD rated to 5000 RPM 10HP lathe motor.
many also have Gitz oil ports, and are oiled. Most of my motors are oiled, are plain bearing motors.
Most bearings are sealed or shielded, so not greaseable. I laugh when I see a grease port, and a sealed bearing. If they are going to do that, they should remove the seal on one side. Most over grease a greased fitting, which is worse than no grease. Oil will never hurt , since grease is oil with some tackifiers I think.

Back