Oil can for ball oilers

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm looking at purchasing a Reilang R003 MERKUR Precision Oiler with Double Pump. What is the double pump thing all about?

I have searched this site and the web but I'm still not clear as what the double pump is. With all my searching I have determined that there is no better oil can then the Reilang oil can. But is it really that much better? I was also looking at the Goldenrod oil can with flex spot, its $50 cheaper.

So, the main purpose of the oil can is to be able to oil the all the little ball oilers that are on the lathe. Will the Reiling work upside down or do you prim it right-side up and then flip it over to oil the little oilers?

What about the Goldenrod, does it have enough power to do a good job on the oilers? I have a cheap no name brand oil can and it will not work on the ball oiler for my loppers.

Another question, do I need two oil cans for the lathe? One for the ball oilers with WAY oil and one for the Carriage feed gearbox with gear oil?

Tim

I'm looking at purchasing a Reilang R003 MERKUR Precision Oiler with Double Pump. What is the double pump thing all about?

I have searched this site and the web but I'm still not clear as what the double pump is. With all my searching I have determined that there is no better oil can then the Reilang oil can. But is it really that much better?

So, the main purpose of the oil can is to be able to oil the all the little ball oilers that are on the lathe. Will the Reiling work upside down or do you prim it right-side up and then flip it over to oil the little oilers?

Another question, do I need two oil cans for the lathe? One for the ball oilers with WAY oil and one for the Carriage feed gearbox with gear oil?

Tim

I own two Reilangs and they are, indeed, the finest oil cans out there. Well, at least in my opinion. I have one for way oil and another for hydraulic oil.

I think the double pump thing is the pump primes when you let go of the trigger so there is no lag in delivery.

Yes, Reilang oilers work upside down, sideways and right side up. They work every time and they do not leak. What's more, the pump doesn't dry out and quit on you.

I had two Goldenrods that leaked every single time. Maybe the really old ones were okay but the modern versions are total junk and I would not spend a cent on them.

Hehe I like Mikey’s answer.

I bought some goldenrod flexible spout when I first started and they are okay. They actually leak surprisingly little but I never got a good fit with the tip in my ball oilers. I use them now for dripping oil on ways. I came across some Eagle oilers with rigid spouts and some have the little nosecones that perfectly fit ball oilers. Massive improvement.

The reilang oilers look really nice and I’d like to get some.

I bought my Jet Lath new, (25 years ago). It came with a no name oiler that does not leak and fits the ball oilers perfect.

Thanks Mikey and JW, I still don't understand the double pump thing. The way you described it MIkey is the way I believe my cheap oil can works.

Flyinfool, That was 25 years ago. It's too bad they don't include high quality oil cans with the new lathes today.

Tim

Tim, they're expensive but worth it. You'll be glad you spent the money as the years pass.

I took my rotary tool with a thin diamond wheel to make a slot in the tip of my oil can. This allows oil to enter the recess of the ball oiler and not have it spill on the outside of the ball. Of course one needs to clean the tip to ensure no metallic dust from cutting the slot enters the oil cavity.

I had to shape the tip of my oilers to fit the European oilers found on my Emco lathe. Some very gentle rounding/shaping with a fine file did the trick and I get zero leakage even under full pressure.

I have a Reilang its a great oiler. But so are my Eagles, and Plews.
As far as ball oilers My plews, eagle ball tips and reilang all work. the Plews will pressurize a ball oiler. The ball will shoot the oil back out that it can't handle. The same for the Eagle. So they do the job too. All leak to some degree, even the Reilang. But not as much
It's a nice oiler... I have no idea about the double pump...

Back