Oh No! Another Mister

rdean

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My little mister was plugged up so I thought just take it apart and clean the nozzle.
Very bad idea! The tiny hose barb that the inner hose connects to broke off inside the nozzle. I didn't want to replace the nozzle so went to HF and bought an air brush and a 10 foot air brush hose for about $20 after rebate.
I reamed a piece of pipe I had to press over the end of the air brush and tied the air brush button down.

Works great and I can't see much difference in the operation.

Thanks for looking
Ray

GEDC1508.JPG GEDC1497.JPG

What a great idea! Wish I'd have thought of that one.:applause:

I hate how an air brush seems so blatantly obvious now that someone else has already thought of it! LOL Very nice!

*headbang* I have one....and a compressor for it.......I assure you your going to be blamed for my next set of ideas!

Thank you all for the kind reply's.
Ray

My little mister was plugged up so I thought just take it apart and clean the nozzle.
Very bad idea! The tiny hose barb that the inner hose connects to broke off inside the nozzle. I didn't want to replace the nozzle so went to HF and bought an air brush and a 10 foot air brush hose for about $20 after rebate.
I reamed a piece of pipe I had to press over the end of the air brush and tied the air brush button down.

Works great and I can't see much difference in the operation.

Thanks for looking
Ray

View attachment 79659 View attachment 79660

I have never used a mister, what is the advantage, and disadvantage, Is it ok to have a lot of atomised coolant in the air of a workshop? I've only ever used flood coolant, or oil from an oil can.

I have never used a mister, what is the advantage, and disadvantage, Is it ok to have a lot of atomised coolant in the air of a workshop? I've only ever used flood coolant, or oil from an oil can.
The type we generally are referring to here in the forum is "fogless", so you won't have the coolant in the air. It uses a very fine mist of coolant and a lot of air. They work great, and don't have the mess that flood can create or the smoke that oil can create.

The whole point of coolant is to dissipate heat. Any time the coolant is finely divided (mist) there's much more coolant surface area exposed to conduct that heat. So misting is basically more efficient at getting the heat away.

If you look at the big NC machines, they all have massive cooling systems because they're going flat-out every chance they get. So they build the machines with lots of shielding and sealed doors to try to keep the coolant (and chips) under control. They run coolant like a commercial dishwasher under glass. Even THEN, the air is full of atomized coolant.

I don't know of any studies condemning the hazards of "second hand mist" so whether or not it's "ok to have a lot" is up to you, I suppose. Surely all the alphabet agencies have weighed in on this, by now. In the old days, nobody knew or cared. I just know the more chips you move, the more crap will be in the air. Of course, one machine outputs far less airborne material that a dozen machines. So your shop will be markedly different from a big place.

And that's the catch: even without misting, you're putting a lot of atomized chemical in the air! Trusty ol' oil-flood coolant puts a lot of particulate and vapor into the air just from splashing. Oil-drip causes more smoke. The water based milk-coolants all splash, likewise. So i've not seen a coolant of any type that will not find it's way into the air in some amount directly proportional to the amount of chips you move.

What seems to keep it down is keeping spindle speed down. That's what i tend to do. I've had my fill of "high speed" environments. Production shops can't do this, of course. They have to turn everything up to 11. But i've seen lots of youtube vids where guys run the cutter twice or three-times as fast as I would and send smoke, chips, splashes, and vapors everywhere. Often from only a few drops of oil. I use lots of oil and take my time, because i'm a hobbyist now. Truth be told, my motors probably out-gas more than my cutting does.

Wrat

I made this over 2 years ago and it is still in use today.
I do not use any chemicals just plain water at about 20 psi with the water flow turned down so I can just see the mist.
The air pressure tends to keep the cut clear of chips too.
I have learned that for me smaller cuts and slower feeds work better and fewer broken bits.
Most of my work on this CNC mill is with 0.125 and smaller end mills.
I have done several jobs with a 0.0315 tool making branding irons for woodworkers.

Thanks for looking

Ray

Back