ODD TAPS ( Make it a sticky)

rmsflorida

Active User
Registered
Sometimes you need a tap that you don't have ..you can waste a lot of money buying a tap that would use once in a life time.
A Ex-curator of the Smithsonian Institute and I have a bank of taps and dies for loan to responsible organizations
ranging from Metric,Acme,Withworth LH,RH specials,etc.
There are taps that are used almost never. lying in the bottom of a draws, forgotten ..
Contact me if you need that "ODD'tap.
Robbie

Last edited by a moderator:
Some time ago, I probably had a call for something like you offer. Customer had several hundred air tool housings that had some odd thread that I never did really identify. Something proprietary I suppose. I considered having a tap made for the job, but they were in a rush and didn't want to pay for the rush, so the job died. It's still sitting where I left it as of last summer, as far as I know.

Hi Robbie

I used to do a lot of work at Florida Mining there in Brooksville, Anyway I need a 5/8 X 11 Tap & Dye if you have those. Need to tap a whole in the head stock of my 13" South Bend Lathe to do a repair job.

And I need to add a few threads to a bolt for the same let me know if-n you have them. I can do PayPal for the shipping or how ever you want to do it.

Paul

Sometimes you need a tap that you don't have ..you can waste a lot of money buying a tap that would use once in a life time.
A Ex-curator of the Smithsonian Institute and I have a bank of taps and dies for loan to responsible organizations
ranging from Metric,Acme,Withworth LH,RH specials,etc.
There are taps that are used almost never. lying in the bottom of a draws, forgotten ..
Contact me if you need that "ODD'tap.
Robbie

I had made the same offer to other machinist web site groups making available the bank of "ODD BALL" taps to the general membership in the last 3 months.
As I was warned, the some would not return the cutting tools.
Out of six loan outs ...2 were returned.
With the 4 that were not return in spite of repeated contacts have not had positive results.
We had good results with reputable professional organizations .
Until I can come up with a better solution ,the offer of loaning out the taps will stop.
I'm open to Ideas on this matter.

Robbie

It's difficult, if not impossible to put a price on some odd taps, but a security deposit might deter some from borrowing instead of buying (or stealing).

Paul, 5/8-11 is a standard UNC. Not an oddball at all. Probably could buy one for keeps at a lower price than postage to and from Robbie. Then you'd have it in your own toolbox.

Tony I know its not odd, But I've only got to do 1 whole prolly never do it again thats the reason for asking.

But I'll get on ebay and buy one if I can find a USA made one.

Paul

Paul, I probably have the tap, but I rarely use dies to cut threads, especially that large. If you can't come up with a sweet deal, let me know and I'll send you a tap.

I went looking on e-bay for a 5/16"x24 left hand tap a couple of weeks ago (chainsaw to airplane conversion) shipping doubled the price, but it fit the bill.

What ever did we do before e-bay?

Here in New Port Richey , Florida. We have Widell Industries, they make taps and dies and I have had a few oddball ones made up thru the years. Never know what you will find needed restoring an old vehicle. Very friendly offer, nice to know there are still good guys out there.

Back