Odd little caliper I found ???

burtonbr

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Going through an old box of tools I had I ran across this but don't know what it would be used for. Figured someone here would know what it was/is for.
It is Starrett and has a little spring activated needle on the gauge that doesn't show up real well in the pictures. I figured it is not complete and there must be something else it goes to. I looked on the Starrett site but didn't see anything similar, and it doesnt have a number on it like most other old calipers and mic's I have do.
hope you can see the pictures well enough.

photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

Last edited:
It is a measuring indicator tool on a caliper--I have a starret no. 64 that is similar but not on caliper--it mounts on a post like an indicator--a very nice find!!!---Dave
mine is very handy and yours looks complete

You measure between two surfaces by setting the needle on zero---and then measure on another parallel spot to see if it is plus or minus or right on zero--which would be perfect

Last edited:
I didn't think it was complete because of the tip. It's a round eye, seems like something should go in there. And the indicator needle always rests at +4 I wondered if it's damaged.
Doubt I will ever have a use for it, maybe if someone else does I could trade it for something useful.

I didn't think it was complete because of the tip. It's a round eye, seems like something should go in there. And the indicator needle always rests at +4 I wondered if it's damaged.
Doubt I will ever have a use for it, maybe if someone else does I could trade it for something useful.
It is an inside caliper for lathe work, it may be missing a second spring that allows it to zero out. I WOULD trade you something for it but I'm closer to you right now than I am my stash of trading stuff

- - - Updated - - -

Show a picture of the back

I think your needle may be just bent or out of adjustment or the joint may need to be cleaned and lubed--I still think it is complete--Dave

I think this type of indicator is made to register to one side of the scale; in use the needle will center up if adjusted to do so by moving it against the part it is being applied to; note that the Starrett "Last Word" indicators operate in this fashion, but are also reversable by a lever in back; the indicators like that pictured are not much to write home about.

attachment.php?attachmentid=67833&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1389819156.jpg

What if you used the bottom edge to read the scale instead of the top edge? Looks like it's at zero now.

Looks like it is for comparing 2 bores. In the first bore adjust to 0 then in second bore it will show if it is under or over.

What if you used the bottom edge to read the scale instead of the top edge? Looks like it's at zero now.
If you look close there's a small pointer on top the scale that moves with the eyelet end.
You can see it in 2 of the pics if you look close, I've had this thing a couple of years and just noticed it myself just now before posting the pics. :lmao:

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like it is for comparing 2 bores. In the first bore adjust to 0 then in second bore it will show if it is under or over.

I think you may be correct sir, I could see it working in that way.

I agree. It is a sort of gauge used in manufacturing to compare bores that are already very close to the desired size. You don't have a lot of leeway with the very limited range of that simple indicator.

I think if you were making a lot of the same parts is where it would have mostly have found its use. These days,it is not a particularly useful tool. Mounted on a caliper,I think it would have been very easy to lose its initial setting. Would have to be handled VERY carefully,and when laid down,laid very gently. A tool at the time for a machinist who was already quite skillful and careful.

Back