O1 Steel For Internal Threading Tool

I have a hard time imagining a thread relief on both sides of an internal thread needed.
Surely one side of the bore must have a id bigger than the major diameter of the thread.
How else could something actually screw into the thread?

I guess that's true. Tired me got carried away and over thinking last night.

the idea of threading upside down isnt bad at all
leasurely coming out of the cut towards plenty of room instead of having to be quick in order to avoid a crash
to make the undercut at the far end just use the theading tool, before engaging the leadscrew slowly feed in and let it go around a couple of time, it will cut its own groove

So I have my undercut at the far end. I have the proper gears for the thread i want. To properly turn the threads in reverse, what else needs to be done besides flip the threading tool? Does the compound need to be set differently? Just trying to make sure before i ruin all my work. The threads to be cut is an internal 1 1/2" x 8 tpi. This project is for something at work and the company bought the aluminum. Dont really want to trash this.

Do a dress rehersal on a piece of scrap, even if it's pvc

Duh! Why didn't I think of that??? These past few days I have been having extreme brain farts. I set the lathe up to do the threading. But I'm going to hold off for tomorrow or whenever my head is screwed on straight. Not fully focused on what I'm doing can result in a screwed up part or hurting myself.

If you have some O1 tool steel why don't you just make the whole boring bar out of it. Then heat treat it. I don't care for internal threading with an insert bar because of how far the bar and setscrew stick out past the point of the tool. In a blind hole you need a mile of clearance.

Back