"Noteworthy Threads"

Highpower

Registered
Registered
After a bad experience while working on a project last night, I looked through the Noteworthy Threads "sticky" and had an idea for a new thread that I think may be useful to those of us still wet behind the ears regarding machine work. What I did not see was a list of common mistakes that us "newbies" are likely to make in our amateur / hobbyist ways.

But I'm not talking about a "how to" list of things to do. I'm talking about a list of things you have learned NOT to do by your mistakes. In other words I would like people to open up and be honest about any mistakes they have made and share them so the rest of us can hopefully not make the very same mistakes ourselves. If the subject line starts will Lathe / Bandsaw / Mill etc., we could have a sort of database to look through before starting a project, and perhaps find a few "GOTCHA'S" to look out for before proceeding.

We are all (well most of us... ;D ) human and we make mistakes. Most likely we make the same mistakes as others do, so why not turn that into a benefit for learning? Just a thought and wanted to ask you folks what you think about it.

For example, in my case --

Milling deep pockets, slots, counter boring etc.:

Always double check the depth of the feature you want to machine against the length of the cutting flutes on your end mill before making your first cut! If you don't have enough length on the flutes to cut at full depth, make sure you are using a cutter that has the same shank diameter (or less) than the cutter itself.
:-[

Great idea!!

We all learn that way!

Nelson

Here is another one I had awhile back...

Bandsaw FAIL:

I was working on cutting some square steel tubing into lengths on my horizontal saw, and everything was going along great. I had just put a new blade on the saw and made all the adjustments. It was cutting straight and true going through the steel like butter.

As I was setting up the length on the next piece to be cut, I had the saw blade about 3/8" above the tubing with the hydraulic feed cylinder shut off at the valve as I clamped the steel down in the vice. When I hit the ON switch the saw suddenly made a gawd awful sound that made me think a bearing was getting ready to explode somewhere! At the same time I noticed the blade was not moving, and I thought my saw was toast. I quickly shut off the saw and started to investigate. I opened up the cover on the belt drive to see if I could spin the pulleys by hand, but it was a no-go. I also noticed that the pulleys were very warm to the touch as well. G-r-e-a-t...... >:(

As I felt my blood pressure rising - I spotted something else. It looked like the saw blade was touching the steel tubing -- and it was.
Apparently I had bumped into the valve on the hydraulic down feed and didn't notice it. The saw had slowly come down and rested the blade on the work before I could turn the switch on to start the saw. The saw teeth dug in and effectively locked up the wheels, and the noise I heard was the drive belt screeching on the pulleys. Luckily I leave the belt a little bit loose on my machine to make it easy to change speeds. Otherwise it would have likely snapped the new blade I had just installed.
Lessons learned from this little mistake:

1) Always check that the saw blade is not touching the material before YOU touch the ON switch. Even if you KNOW you closed that valve!

2) Leave that drive belt just a little on the loose side.... ;)

Back