(Not So) Hobby Machinist

Don't turn your hobbies into work unless you are willing to no longer have it as a hobby. In other words, once it becomes work, you can't escape work by doing it outside of work.

When I worked in an emissions shop for a county, I hated working on cars, but tinkered with computers. When I switched back to working in computers, I worked on the car and hated working on computers.

Once a hobby becomes work, you have the potential to lose that love of it. Granted, we have a few anomalies here on this list, but just be aware.

joe
This is common. I got into electronics as a kid and loved it. Did well in college because I already knew most of the stuff. But once it was a career, my interest dropped off - who wants to work on the same thing 16hrs a day? Not me. I build cars for fun, but I won't turning it into a business for all the reasons already given.

I could never run a business, because I lack the narcissistic desire to extort a profit from every person that walks through the door, every time. I've made a career in the government, so Atlas Shrugged capitalism is a cold turn-off to me. I help my friends for free, and I turn down work that comes with an estimate and expectations. Working with my hands is my therapy, and that is not for sale.
I don't think that all of us business owners are like that. I can make me and my customers happy at a price which is fair to both. No worries of me ever getting rich, thats for sure. I may be narcissistic but I'm working on it ;)

Last edited:
I spent 20+ years in the job shop business, 11 years as an owner. It's a tough way to make a living, easier if you have steady clients with low quantity repeating work. We had a few industries specific to our area, wineries, canneries, filter and diaper manufacturing, that were our primary clients. As others have said, find a niche that needs something, but not so much that production quantities justify competition.

Most important of all, NEVER TAKE SOMETHING YOU LOVE AND TURN IT INTO A JOB. Just ask any hooker.

That's what I do now . They can't move the line to China . ( well , not easily ) . :big grin:
No, but they could move it to Mexico. My SIL works for LEGO, and that’s what they did and even had their employees of 20yrs+ train the new crew. kinda made me sick.

Or at least a good worker that knows how to save....

I've had several businesses, not machining but I did sell some parts we had made by a local job shop.

So, if you want to be in business the best way to start is with a whole bunch of money, preferably not your own. Then plan on working twice as hard for twice as many hours as you do to make the same amount of money doing the same work for someone else.

Capitalism works best for those with capital.

This isn't to say that a hard working, lucky person can't do very well. But, if you want to do machine work do take the time to talk with some shop owners in your area. I haven't met one yet who thinks it's a good idea.

John

I have done welding work for people, and I made a fraction of what I make at my boring (non-welding, non-machining) day job.

I won’t take welding (or machining) jobs after I finish the one that I am working on now. When I work, I will choose the job with the highest pay rate.

As a hobby, however, I love to machine and weld. With nobody else’s expectations or limitations, I can enjoy unlimited creative freedom.

What I've found fun is making things for people when they have no other option. It pays for the odd tool, which is nice. Getting the hobby to part pay for itself isn't hard, while getting it to pay for you as well is. Welding, as mentioned, can turn a fair few bob if you're good at it, but be careful not to get into anything safety critical without some certification and liability cover if you're being paid for it. There be dragons.

I also make custom stuff from stainless. One offs to order. Sadly I can't post my work on here because... well, many reasons They're serious fun to make as every person that I make something for has entirely different requirements. Best of all, they're delighted to pay far more than they would for something they could buy off a shelf. It's theirs, just as they wanted and most importantly it's unique and always will be. There's huge value in that. However, it's not going to earn me a living.

I've also been approached privately by a few people here looking to have gears made because they've stumbled across threads I've contributed to while researching where to find or how to make an unobtanium gear replacement. Apparently there's a demand and no supply for oddball old gears, but possibly for good reason. If I could find an old gear hobbing machine, I might look into it.

Back