(Not So) Hobby Machinist

KB58,
Do I detect a Lotus influence in your choice of vehicles?

KB58,
Do I detect a Lotus influence in your choice of vehicles?
Yes, sir. Since FWD drivetrains are so common now, I designed a "Seven" around them, placed behind the driver, mid-engine.

Last edited:
Most important of all, NEVER TAKE SOMETHING YOU LOVE AND TURN IT INTO A JOB. Just ask any hooker.

I guess I've committed a cardinal sin then. I took my transmission business and now it's a $30k per year side business.

It didn't start out that way. In 1988 I figured out how to modify my own transmisson and people found out about it. I figured what the heck, I've got the fixtures and special tooling I had made, might as well get my money back on them. That was 12 years ago and now I have 7 different products I've developed.

Before I used to not want to go out to the shop, especially when just a short time ago before my stroke I was working 40-50 hours a week at work, and at lest 30 every weekend doing my parts. Now for me that is changed. I just can't sit on my butt and watch tv all the time. I love it when parts come in now. Gives me a chance to go play with my toys.

The extra money is great, but I don't need it to survive. It's nice to have the funds to buy things I want. I just spent $10k on a cnc lathe. Most of the time I'm enjoying playing with it, that's when I don't scrap part because of my lousy programming skills. 20 years ago I was good at it. now I'm an old fart with a bad short term memory trying to relearn all of that.

If you have the time like me and can't stand sitting, find something you can do for others and go for it. I will warn you if you haven't done job shop type of work, make it a hard and unbreakable rule that you have a print to work with. Sure saves your butt. I learned this the hard way 20 years ago on a fairly big job I had to eat.

Mostly I enjoy working with people. I go to swap meets with my conversions and I enjoy talking with knowledgeable people. But with working with the public you will find that 2% make the rules for the other 98%. I'm still learning how to deal with people. I sell my parts on ebay and the biggest problem there is I need some information from the buyer. I sold a $400 part to someone and have messaged him everyday for a week asking a question about how to set up his part so I can ship it. I even contacted ebay about it. If I don't hear from him soon I'll have to give his momey back and I hate doing that.

I'd say sit down and think about what you want your shop and life to be and go for it. if you don't take the chance, you will always regret it. Nothing ventured not gained.

I remember a quote from a customer I had in England 20 years ago. I made and sold a line of atv parts then and I asked him are atv's big in England?

His reply was:

"You have to speculate to accumulate"

I've never forgotten that.

Last edited:
Back