Norton No.1 Tool and Cutter Grinder information

WestCoastEngineer

Registered
Registered
This last Sunday I picked up a Norton No.1 tool and cutter grinder. It was part of a package deal and too cheap to pass up. I have been to vintagemachinery.org and have only found a sales brochure for it. Does anyone out there have a manual or know where I can find some information about it? I am certain that I am missing some items for operation, an obvious one is that it did not have a magnetic chuck. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4606.JPG
    IMG_4606.JPG
    367 KB · Views: 66
I have the very same machine and have a few manuals by Norton; is there any tooling with it? A magnetic chuck is one of the least likely acessories that one might use. PM me about manuals.
John

What tooling came with the machine?
It didn't come with any tooling. However, I got a bunch of Norton grinding wheels. Not knowing anything at all about surface grinders, it seemed like to good of a deal to pass on for $200

That was a real bargain! They came with centers, a powered workhead, a all angle setup , a spindle height gage, dresser bracket, hand rest, universal angle vise, tooth rests, steady rest, and other special attachments that are illustrated in the #2 catalog brochure.
The best way to find tooling is to do a favorite search on EB under the title of cutter grinder, with the brochure you will be able to identify what is what, I got most of the tooling with the machine, but was able to pretty much fill out what was missing from EB, I made the spindle height gage of a steel weldment, and made a pattern for the hand tool rest and had a casting made at an iron foundry.

Good news! My brain kicked in and I went into my shop and opened a drawer and found that I have the operators manual and parts book for the #1 cutter grinder! I will get started copying it today hopefully. It is 40 pages long.
John

John,

Just an update. I sent you $25 about a 30 minutes ago. Hopefully, that will help with some of the copying costs and mailing costs too. Thank you again for reaching out to me about the manuals. I really appreciate that.

matt

Great! I finished the copying, we did it on our ink jet printer in black and white, I did the manual on 3 hole punched paper, double sided, the brochure, I did on plain paper, single sided, the cutter grinder book is from 1991. I think that we will be shipping it in a padded envelope. A big part of this material is to see and know what the accessories' look like, all too many folks on EB don't seem to know what they have.

John,

Just an update. I sent you $25 about a 30 minutes ago. Hopefully, that will help with some of the copying costs and mailing costs too. Thank you again for reaching out to me about the manuals. I really appreciate that.

matt
Somehow, I just received this message for the second time ---

Back