Noob question

Hi Ralpf,

Sent PM - How much would you like for this shipped to 01741?

Thanks

Ray

PM received, email attempted but bounced. Left msg on profile.

Hi All,

Did a bunch of research, and actually bought a 3D printer. Only AFTER I got it, did I check out the health issues, and bottom line not good, at least for me! Soooo, I returned it, and decided that what I absolutely need is a CNC Taig mill. They seem to be slightly better than the Sherlines, and a bit cheaper.

Will get something used, unless a killer sale happens!

Thanks

Ray

Hi All,

Did a bunch of research, and actually bought a 3D printer. Only AFTER I got it, did I check out the health issues, and bottom line not good, at least for me! Soooo, I returned it, and decided that what I absolutely need is a CNC Taig mill. They seem to be slightly better than the Sherlines, and a bit cheaper.

Better research the ozone from the motor, the smoke and VOCs from the lubricants and chemicals, airborne particulates from the cutting, electrical and magnetic radiation from the electronics, motor and wiring. Then add all the physical mechanical dangers of flying cutter shrapnel, red hot razor sharp chips and sharp spinning cutters. Most every shop or maker activity has toxins and risks. Even sawdust is toxic. Part of the activity is learning how to handle the hazards. The mill is no different than the 3d printer (though the mill has more hazards to deal with). Each can be a danger to the untrained and inexperienced. Each can be managed.

Yep, I get the point, The 3D printer requires on the order of MERV 17 filtration with activated charcoal. This turned out to be more trouble and cost than I want to deal with, I already have sensitivity to the oils and VOCs which I manage with respirators. My wood shop is running MERV 13 filtration on the cyclone, and MERV 12 for the air scrubbers. I wear a P100 dust mask when I am working with wood, painting or finishing is done outside with a respirator. I wear glove when working on cars,respirators when dealing with some chemicals, some I will avoid altogether - pretty much anything ending in 'ene' ;)

My point is that I am aware of mitigation techniques, but it is not in the budget to solve the 3d printer problem, which seems to be largely ignored by many.

Ray

The good news about 3d printing is that it can do it's thing without you being in close proximity. Perhaps you can setup the printer is a seperate location? Also there are many different filaments to use with 3d printing and each will have it's own off-gas profile. there might be a filament that is less of a problem for you. I know you have done a lot of research on 3D printers but just wanted to be sure these things are on your radar.

Good Luck

It is extremely dependent on which filaments are used in the 3d printer, and many other activities like cooking on gas or electric stoves, printing on a laser printer or burning a scented candle produce similar VOCs. The most popular filaments are PLA based and those produce the lowest emissions and are biologically compatible being vegetable based and commonly used in medical procedures. Filaments like ABS need to be done outdoors or with more exhaust control, not only are the particulates orders of magnitude higher they are not healthy to breathe.

What I found was that in addition to the VOCs that there were particulates on the order of <.3 microns. Yes the filament material has a lot to do with the quality and quantity of emissions, but I decided that I would just not bother. A good fume hood, vented outside would go a long way, but that would require managing the ambient temps of the printer as temps have an effect on quality. WRT 3D printing, I will wait for proper 'guidance' from the smart folks who do that stuff.

At this point, I will just focus on CNC as my next learning opportunity

Back