Noob question

rbahr

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

I have a couple of projects where I would like to make some gears - I would prefer to use brass and/or aluminum. I have been wondering if I want a 3d printer and settle for plastic, or some form of CNC router.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Ray

Hi All,

I have a couple of projects where I would like to make some gears - I would prefer to use brass and/or aluminum. I have been wondering if I want a 3d printer and settle for plastic, or some form of CNC router.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Ray
Ray,
There are much better qualified folks here than me to answer, but didn't want you to think nobody is listening.

What's the application, i.e. will 3D printed plastic gears hold up? If not, you can look at hobbing or involute cutters. A CNC would likely work as well.

Evan

In selecting what sort of "gears" you want, there are many factors to consider (strength, material, size, . . . . ). It is difficult to provide any sort of advice when you just want "some gears". I'm guessing that you want gears from some sort of an application. Provide more info - perhaps a 3D printer, perhaps a CNC, I made the gears in my avatar picture on a manual mill - etc, many options.

More information please.

Boston Gear? I've made some gears on the mill, I'm really slow at it. Machine and tooling costs are high. Plastic printed gears are easily made once you've mastered the process. But you have to buy the machine or have someone else make them. CNC, steep learning curve & cost. W/O knowing more ....

Thanks all,

The application will be clock-like devices, the 1st project is specifically an Antikythera mechanism - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

There will be other objects similar in nature. I have considered wood, as well as 3d printing, just uncertain of which direction to go in.

This is also an opportunity to start to learn another skill, 3d printing (CAD + misc) or CNC (CAD + a different misc).

My budget will not allow me to buy one of each or even a good quality one of either. I also don't mind putting sweat equity into this, I have a lathe and mill, and a bit of time :)

Ray

Duplicate post

Thanks David,

I am pretty sure that I want to be able to do this myself.

Ray

Gear cutting can be done on a mill with an involute cutter and a dividing head to do the steps between the teeth. You can do it with CNC, but you'll need a 4th axis which acts as the dividing head. I have a Tormach with a 4th and have cut helical gears with it. The learning curve is a little steep, but if you can follow a cookbook recipe, you can learn G-code.

Bruce

Thanks, I was imagining that the gear would lie flat and the bit would cut an outline - guess that is not how it works. I do have a dividing head for my mill...

WRT 'G' code, have been writing software for, as the say, a coon's age, would not expect it to be that difficult.

Ray

Back