Non Sherline Tools.....??

It should be here today.

I'm a firm believer in buying good tools. Cheap tools always end up being more expensive in the long run in so many ways.

Not to sound repetitive, but thanks for all the guidance.

I do have some measuring tools. I'll dig them out and post a pic of them to get your thoughts on them.

You know the area well. We don't often get up to Sherburne. If we get up that way it's usually for a yard sale. We have a close friend who works for Norwich Pharma. It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.

This small rural town, located somewhere between obscurity and oblivion has been targeted for an industrial wind turbine project that will host some of the largest terrestrial wind turbines in the nation. For the past 2 1/2 years I've been involved in the fight to keep them out. It's been an interesting education of dirty politics and corruption. Sadly, fighting a well equipped political machine is an uphill battle.
http://www.saveguilford.com/

Last edited:
When I started working in a company run prototype machine shop I was given a list of tools I would need to buy. The list included the following

1. Outside micrometers, 0-1", 1'-2", 2"-3". These might be replaced by metric micrometers today depending on the system you work in the most.

2. 6" scale with metric readings on 1 side.

3. Dial indicator. My original was a Starrett 196 back plunger model with mounting accessories.

4. 6" dial caliper. Todays version would be an electronic digital with both decimal and metric readings.

Those were considered the basic tools needed in the machine shop. In those days all the tools were Starrett brand purchased from a local supplier. I still have them all today and all but the dial caliper still work fine. I made the mistake of lending out the caliper. It got dropped and damaged an internal gear. I looked into having it repaired, but temporarily replaced in with a HF $20.00 special which I used for approximate measurements for several years. Several years ago I purchased a new Mitutoyo CD-P6"S from Travers Tools for only a few dollars more than it would have cost to repair the 35+ year old Starrett

The tool inventory has expanded well over a thousand fold since the beginning. Today there are a couple dozen indicators in several ranges an resolutions in both metric and decimal configurations.

Calipers of several different sizes in both metric and decimal.

Outside Micrometers up to 8"

Bore gauges

Inside micrometers up to 12"

Depth micrometers up to 12"

Height gauges up to 24"

etc., etc.

The tools mentioned are only a small portion of those purchased over the last 35+ years. The tool inventory will expand as they are needed and the jobs change. In all cases the tools and tooling purchased has far exceeded the initial cost of any one machine.

When I started working in a company run prototype machine shop I was given a list of tools I would need to buy. The list included the following

1. Outside micrometers, 0-1", 1'-2", 2"-3". These might be replaced by metric micrometers today depending on the system you work in the most.

2. 6" scale with metric readings on 1 side.

3. Dial indicator. My original was a Starrett 196 back plunger model with mounting accessories.

4. 6" dial caliper. Todays version would be an electronic digital with both decimal and metric readings.
I haven't been at this for very long but I would endorse this list of beginning tools above, all of which I've ended up getting and use.
Also got some telescoping bore gauges and a depth gauge- those will come in handy. Not critical maybe, but I'm actively seeking a good height gauge I can afford.

While you might not need the precision of a micrometer, might as well get one and start practicing your technique.

These are notes from a beginner.

Tim

These are the only measuring tools I have. The Fowler one has an issue. It'd very difficult to adjust probably because the 2 graduated "rings" are stuck together. Despite that the numerical indicator does function.IMG_4399.JPGIMG_4400.JPG

Last edited:
This small rural town, located somewhere between obscurity and oblivion has been targeted for an industrial wind turbine project that will host some of the largest terrestrial wind turbines in the nation. For the past 2 1/2 years I've been involved in the fight to keep them out. It's been an interesting education of dirty politics and corruption. Sadly, fighting a well equipped political machine is an uphill battle.
http://www.saveguilford.com/
I have these up near me . I'm told the electric generated goes to NY City and not the surrounding areas .

It goes into the "grid". The host community bares the entire burden. 25 industrial wind turbines towering at 670' tall don't belong in a rural environment.

My apologies for going off on this subject. It infuriates me beyond what words can say. Big money trumps human health and safety every time.....

Like I said , we have them all the way up the mountain ridges into Salisbury ( Herkimer County ) . You don't realize the size of these things until you're up close to them . I can understand why they aren't welcomed into these beautiful areas .

Back