Non Sherline Tools.....??

Crow Horse

Registered
Registered
What tools would partner well with a lathe?

Hex keys
Screw drivers
Dial indicator ?
Micrometer ?

May I ask what you need ? There are tons of things that you will need with a lathe . I go thru your place evrytime I go to the property up in the Adirondacks . Go straight up 12 from Binghamton to Utica . I met Brento on here up in Sidney one time and dropped off a Kennedy box . I travel 88 quite alot also . :)

Being that this is new to me I'm guessing that basic hand tools are the minimum. From what I can see, there aren't any special tools that a Sherline requires for servicing. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Machinist tools like micrometers and dial indicators are new to me. I'm sure there are more. Right now I don't have a current need but if there's something specific that should be in my arsenal I want to be on the lookout in the event I stumble across them on eBay, yard or estate sales.

Years ago I had the opportunity to buy a machinists tool box complete with tools for $60. I passed on it because the owner had passed away and his wife was selling off his tools. I kinda felt like a vulture picking at the bones. I kick myself in the ass for not grabbing them.

Did you get the Sherline yet ?

On another note ..................Have you ever gotten up to Sherburne and ate at Lewis's ? Best steak I ever had . :encourage: Procter and Gamble used to have a plant up in Norwich , I know they closed it awhile back . I think it may be called Norwich Pharmacuetical now ?

My suggestion is to buy good tools from the start so you don't need to buy them again.

To start, buy a decent dial or digital caliper. The best 6" analog dial caliper made is an Etalon. Tesa and Brown & Sharpe have the same thing with maybe a few small differences but the Etalon is near perfect. If you go digital, I suggest you buy Mitutoyo, although there are a lot of guys who like the Igauging stuff.

You will need a dial indicator for centering stuff in a 4 jaw. If you need to check the run out on the spindle then you'll also need a dial test indicator. To start, get both in 0.0005" models and only step up if you need to.

Hold on micrometers until you are able to work into the low tenths. When you do, at least have a 0-1" version. Good brands are Etalon, Brown & Sharpe, Tesa, Mitutoyo and some Starretts (the older ones). Helios from Germany is also very good.

Tons of other stuff to buy as you develop your skills. As you need them, ask and we'll point you in the right direction. Any excuse to spend your money will elicit a vigorous response from the crew!

Any excuse to spend your money will elicit a vigorous response from the crew!
You got that right Mike ................I already tried ! :big grin: I actually go right thru his little town while going to my property . Heck , if I could find a lathe down here he's looking for I could drop it off at his front door ! :encourage:

Heck , if I could find a lathe down here he's looking for I could drop it off at his front door ! :encourage:

I'm still waiting for you to drive over here and deliver a Bridgeport!

Yeah, yeah, I know, it's a bit out of the way but me and Aukai would feed you into a coma if you made the trip ... :laughing:

Don't tempt me , I haven't been over there yet but it's on our bucket list . :)

You are always welcome, Dave.

You are always welcome, Dave.
Cool , hopefully one day soon . We'll see if we can help Crow Horse out with his tooling . I went back thru his content and he did purchase the lathe , so this should be an easy one . He's more than welcome to reach out to me for any help he would need . I should be going thru his neighborhood possibly this Sunday . I get upstate maybe 8-10 times a year .

Back