No oil wanted/needed

Bone Head

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Yes; I did a search for this. Nothing clear cut came up.
I have a cracked old (1965) Harley transmission case that will need welding. Prior to handing it over to my tig welder I'd like to thoroughly degrease/ remove any 80/90 gear oil. Something water based is preferable; as that's all that's ever been in aside from steel components. I've read where Simple Green and Dawn dish soap will attack aluminum. This poor transmission's been through enough without that.
So; suggestions please.
Thanks.

I also vote for Acetone, but I'll add that, after the first cleaning, cook the case at about 200°F for an hour or so, to drive out as much oil a possible.
Then, another good flushing with Acetone.

I don't believe either simple green or dawn attack aluminum.... purple cleaner will... . Purple cleaner will make it dull.. I use simple green almost exclusively. Unless I drag out the purple cleaner for more powerful and difficult to clean stuff.
But as others have said Acetone is great, as it also flashes off quickly so you are left with no hidden water in pores or cracks.

I don't believe either simple green or dawn attack aluminum.... purple cleaner will... . Purple cleaner will make it dull.. I use simple green almost exclusively. Unless I drag out the purple cleaner for more powerful and difficult to clean stuff.
But as others have said Acetone is great, as it also flashes off quickly so you are left with no hidden water in pores or cracks.
Simple Green will etch aluminum. I learned the hard way :(

Simple Green Pro works well and doesn't hurt aluminum. If possible, I'd put the case in a large tub and boil the thing on your BBQ for an hour or so. As a pre welding step, acetone, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, something nasty and harsh to get any remnant oil out. There will still be oil in the porosity of the aluminum, and your welder may cuss you for it. But at least you will have done an honest job of minimizing his agony.

Back