No gloves with lathe and mill....need citation

I guy I know lost half of his right hand in my Wilton drill press wearing leather gloves,

I'm a retired military doc. Worked ER, orthopedics, etc. Did trauma rotations at several civilian trauma centers as well. After retiring I worked at a civilian ER. Seen my share of nasty encounters with power tools, industrial accidents, and farm equipment.
Saw what the field aviation units maintenance shops could machine in Afghanistan and Iraq. Started going to night classes at local tech college for the machine tool program. Then went full time after retiring. Started my own shop. Between medical background and the tech school=NO GLOVES around running machine tools.

If you can put your hair under your shirt to keep it under control
And don't tie with a braid or rubber band, bit makes it pull harder on your scalp if it does get caught. You have a better chance with loose hair.
!00% agree
Pony tail and up inside my ball cap..
No gloves, no long sleeved shirts, no phone calls., no one is allowed in the shop when I am operating any machine.
I don't let anyone in my shop. Oil on there hands touching my wood can destroy using that piece of wood or the whole project.
Safety glasses.
I do wear latex gloves when doing a finish, lathes rotate at 50 rpm for two weeks
I put on about 10 coats, takes a couple weeks to harden up

Wood turners,, Never sand across the grain. Means turn the lathe off to sand period.
If your a wood turner there is zero reason to have your hand/fingers in there.
Go ahead stick your fingers in there .
1679864384509.png
1679864419900.png
Hurts just thinking about it

I was thinking of donating a DIY CNC router I made. to the local High school, I didn't know they didnt allow power tools.
I have long hair, I really worry about getting tangled up in one my bigger lathes.
Working with micro lathes then switching to the 25HP lathe scares the crap out me.
While not stylish, a hair net will save your scalp from being ripped off the bone and a comb removal puts it right back where it was.

Wear a welders beanie with it if you don’t like what you see in the mirror…

!00% agree
Pony tail and up inside my ball cap..
No gloves, no long sleeved shirts, no phone calls., no one is allowed in the shop when I am operating any machine.
I don't let anyone in my shop. Oil on there hands touching my wood can destroy using that piece of wood or the whole project.
Safety glasses.
I do wear latex gloves when doing a finish, lathes rotate at 50 rpm for two weeks
I put on about 10 coats, takes a couple weeks to harden up
Add no rings, chains or bracelets to that list…

Debated about responding. Don't want to beat the dead horse too much.
I've had to cut a lot of rings off patients with hand/finger injuries. Even carry a ring cutter in my field trauma bag.
Sometimes the ring was squeezed tight cutting off blood flow to the finger. A crush injury to hand or finger caused swelling and the ring acted as a constricting band. The most serious injuries from rings were from de-gloving. Do internet search. Not for the faint of heart. Basically ring pulls off various amounts of patients flesh. Often down to the bone. Sometimes completely amputating finger.
Seen some injuries from watchbands also.

P.S. Rings made of traditional precious metals can often be repaired by a jeweler. The newer tungsten carbide rings are shiny and don't seem to scratch much. But they defy a traditional ring cutter. We had to grind through them with a rotary tool to get them off. Not fun for anyone, especially patient.

I saw a guy jump off a truck and lose his finger in ‘83 so I rarely wear rings. I did cut my very thin wedding band so it doesn’t form a full circle and I have managed to hang it up on things more than once. It does bend open but, I really only wear it to formal outings now.

Debated about responding. Don't want to beat the dead horse too much.
I've had to cut a lot of rings off patients with hand/finger injuries. Even carry a ring cutter in my field trauma bag.
Sometimes the ring was squeezed tight cutting off blood flow to the finger. A crush injury to hand or finger caused swelling and the ring acted as a constricting band. The most serious injuries from rings were from de-gloving. Do internet search. Not for the faint of heart. Basically ring pulls off various amounts of patients flesh. Often down to the bone. Sometimes completely amputating finger.
Seen some injuries from watchbands also.

P.S. Rings made of traditional precious metals can often be repaired by a jeweler. The newer tungsten carbide rings are shiny and don't seem to scratch much. But they defy a traditional ring cutter. We had to grind through them with a rotary tool to get them off. Not fun for anyone, especially patient.
I used to work in aviation and we weren't allowed to wear ring on the floor for these very reasons. I have actually seen a "de-gloving" happen, probably one of the most disgusting scenes I've witnessed and I flew SAR for 30 years. Guy lost the finger. The flesh was in such a state it was just "unrecoverable".

When we got married, I made sure my ring was the softest gold i could afford and a black ceramic ring for use in "high wear" scenarios. The softest gold is self explanitory, but the ceramic was also for a specific reason: it won;t cut with a ring cutter, but it will shatter if hit hard enough....

Back