Nikken RSI-5 Super Spacer Questions

mshea

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone,
I picked up a cool super spacer at an auction. It's a Nikken RSI-5 from 1974, similar to the more recent SRI-150. I've been searching for information about it, and the best I could find was a thread from about 12 years ago. I emailed the current company, and they responded by saying there are no manuals or spare parts for this model.

Does anyone on this forum have one of these? There are a couple of things I can't figure out:
1. There's a knurled knob/bolt that I can't figure out. When it is screwed in, it prevents the index disengagement lever from locking in the disengaged position. The bolt has an internal recess for a small brass piece inside the threaded hole. I'm at a loss.
2. It has a 5c collet nose piece, but it appears to be missing a threaded piece that would attach from the rear of the device. I'm imagining a drawbar of sorts.

If anyone has any information on how this works, or how the accessories are used, I would appreciate it. A manual would be fantastic! Thanks!
IMG_5735.JPG

IMG_5736.JPG
IMG_5737.JPG

IMG_5738.JPG

IMG_5739.JPG

I suspect that the knurled screw is for use at settings that fall in between the locking lever positions. The brass rod is used as a soft face so that the screw does not damage the part it is is locking. All the adjustable indicator dials on my lathe and mill use some sort of brass piece so the shaft does not get scared up by the screws.

Back