Nidec motor parts

What shorted out to take out the contact?
I don't think anything shorted, one is burnt off, from arcing. The copper strip that holds the contact is burnt back too.

This is an air compressor motor that doesn't live in the cleanest location. I suspect a little dust, or maybe a bit of worn belt between the motor and air pump got in there from the cooling fan pulling air through. Once a bit of arcing starts, the contacts get burned, and that contributes to more arcing until there is nothing left. It is possible that the centrifugal switch is slow or sticky, that would also aggravate arcing.

As I mentioned earlier, this belongs to my local car mechanic who is a long time friend of the family. I checked the capacitors for him (they're good), and when they came up good I immediately checked this switch plate. He'd done some free work on my car after I got out of minor surgery and wasn't able to work on it, so this was a return favor. This is about an $800 motor new, he's going to double up his air compressor system so he can get more air. He does a lot of work on old muscle cars and owns a Galaxy 500 that used to belong to my father in law (now deceased), as well as a bunch of other antique cars. Helped him align a Hurst shifter on a old corvette while I was there too.

Ironically, this is a Nidec motor and there is a small Nidec plant in town. No idea what they do there.

Back