Nice little Hardinge w/extras

Yeah... that was a good deal. Great job on the cleanup. That us an AWESOME little mill.

by the time I got to his house at 4p, he had about 50 responses.
And I'll bet not one of them would have put the effort into the restoration that you have. I think they found the perfect home.

You are killing me!!!! very nice purchase and clean-up --Dave

I hope you guys don't mind my asking here-

In a few of the pics, there is an 8 inch, single T-Slot indicator stand-

How is that supposed to be used? I have one, and I also have a Hardinge TM mill.
Is it supposed to attach to my mill table or something? I would live to know what it is specialized for?

Bernie

I agree with the other guys. This is the deal of the century!!!!! I paid $1000 for the same lathe ten years ago and thought I got a deal. It took me ten years just to collect all the 4c collets in 64ths. The only thing I see you are missing is the turret tool holder for the tail stock which I am still looking for. I have four lathes including a Moseley #2 watch makers lathe which I now seldom use because the Hardinge Cataract is so accurate. You have found a rare and lovely bird my friend. Take good care of it which I am sure you will.

Wow what a GREAT deal! very nice! What is the make of the baby mill? What is the size of the table?

Wow what a GREAT deal! very nice! What is the make of the baby mill? What is the size of the table?

make is Hardinge, pretty early, but really not sure of the year of production, maybe somebody else knows. I think the table is about 18" wide. Need to get back to work on providing power and the stand for it.

You do have a pair of early Hardinge Cataract machines. Google Tony Griffiths Engineering. He shows a huge number of machines. Among them are your lathe and milling machine. You can see what the missing "jockey" pulleys look like. Tony is the best resource there is. I took a long train ride to visit him some years ago. He sells Myford lathes,and other smallish English machines.

He also sells excellent reprints of many,many manuals. Your machines might be included. But,be prepared to spend over $100.00 for manuals. They are very well done,though. I sends him old manuals to help him when I can lay hands on them.

I have a lathe just like yours,without the compound. Have had it for years. I ought to sell it as I'm probably not going to get around to putting it together.

Those lathes were used for accurate tool room use,and making master plates for clock making. They are featured in the book "Precision Hole Location",which I have an original copy of. A lot can be done with those face plates you have.

Tony's site shows how the lathes were powered by small overhead belts. The mill was powered from under the table,I think. Study the pictures and text he gives. Much will be revealed.

Threading on many early lathes was done with special threading tackle. You will see those too. Keep searching his list for other early brands too. I have read every single machine he lists,spending many hours at it.

Back