Newest Addition!

dwall174

Registered
Registered
I really didn't need another drill press since I currently have a 17" Delta & a 20" Walker Turner!
However, I seen this Powermatic 1200HD at a local on-line auction & I was able to get it at a good price.

Auction Pic 1 .jpgAuction Pic 2 .jpg

Getting it into my normal 2-car garage was a bit of a challenge. :oops:

IMG_8740.JPGIMG_8742.JPG
I had to disassemble the head from the base to get it into the garage.
IMG_8746.JPGIMG_8749.JPG
Once inside I reassembled it & placed it next to the other drill presses.
IMG_8759.JPGIMG_8774.JPG

Doug

Nice looking DP;
Thanks!
wondering how long it will take to crowd the table with all sorts of stuff ---
Only about 24 hours :laughing:
It's already got parts from the power feed unit on it!
I knew there was a possibly problem with the power-feed seeing that the lever used to engage the power feed was missing.
Auction Pic 7 .jpg
I removed the side cover & inspected the power feed unit & the tools used & some broken parts were put right on the top!
Repairs Needed .jpg

Doug

I disassembled the power-feed unit to get a better idea of what all would be needed to rebuild the power feed.
Going through the parts better I noticed the main worm gear & worm drive gear are worn & damaged. Also, the top shaft that the upper pulley runs on is damaged.
IMG_8802.JPGIMG_8803.JPG
IMG_8806.JPGIMG_8808.JPG

I'll try to locate the parts needed to rebuild the power feed, but I imagine the worm gear is a bit pricey!
For now, I'm just figuring on cleaning it up and using it manually.

Doug

Great pick-up! These industrial, table-mounted drills are something I've been keeping an eye out for. Sometimes can get really good deals because size and power requirements are a bit much for more casual hobbyists.

Sometimes can get really good deals because size and power requirements are a bit much for more casual hobbyists.
I'm pretty sure that size & weight were limiting factors with this drill press!
Just guessing on the weight, but I'm figuring it at somewhere around 1200lbs~1500lbs.

I was originally watching the auction because of this State disc sander.
State Disc Sander .jpg
But it ended up selling for $420 which was more than I wanted to pay.

Being I was already registered & following the auction I noticed that there was a bid of only $80 on this drill press. :rolleyes:
I placed a maximum bid of $200 on it & ended up getting it for $160.

Doug

For now, I'm just figuring on cleaning it up and using it manually.

Doug
Well, I ended up disassembling the entire drill press!
Cleaned everything up, wire wheeled all the parts & then primed & painted everything.
Power feed parts.
IMG_8846.JPG
Spindle & upper drive parts.
IMG_8849.JPG
Parts laid out after priming & painting everything.
IMG_8873.JPG
I'm planning to add a tool cabinet underneath the base for storage, so I turned the legs around with the concave part facing outwards!
IMG_8901.JPGIMG_8946.JPG
This will give me an extra area to add a few small shelves to hold items.

I also decided to replace the bearings while I'm at it.
IMG_8879.JPG

A little more work that what I originally planned on, but the outcome will be better once it's done.

Doug

Except for the damaged parts to the power feed gearbox & the auto-disengage linkage, I got all the other mechanical parts reassembled.
IMG_8985.JPGIMG_8988.JPGIMG_9001.JPGIMG_8993.JPG
Next thing to do is get it all rewired!
I need to replace the potentiometer for the factory VFD since the wire-lugs were broke off the original one. Hopefully the factory Baldor drive has a default setting, so I don't have to reprogram it.
IMG_8754.JPGIMG_8753.JPG

Doug

Nice work!

My only complaint is that you are moving too fast! :)
I have machines that have been waiting a decade for that kinda of attention.
I better not view this thread in my shop.... if they see it they'll be jealous!

Brian

Back