(Newbie time) Any way to get a collet chuck on a 1030V?

PrettyHateMachining

Eraser
Registered
Hi guys,

Complete newbie here, I've had my lathe for 3 weeks and have never used or even seen one prior to that. I've been having fun learning and making stuff and I've seen suggestions to get a collet chuck to hold smaller stock and possibly endmills (for some poverty milling) but after a bunch of research I'm even more confused.

It seems the spindle taper is MT4 and I've seen MT4 ER32/ER40 collet holders, but how are the collet holders held into the machine? Or is their purpose not what I'm thinking and these are for milling machines or something?

I also saw that Shars sells an actual 5C collet chuck: http://www.shars.com/5-5c-collet-chuck but it looks like this is just a plain chuck, it would need some sort of adapter plate or backing plate to mount to the 1030V I assume? However I can't find any information as to what mounting plate I need. Hell I can't even find what chuck mounting mechanism this thing actually uses, it just says "Quick change" and things like that.

Long story short, can someone point me in the right direction as far as what I need to buy for my purposes mentioned in the first paragraph above?

Thanks!
Adam

Your lathe uses the three stud mount with the locking ring. You might ask PM if they sell a backing plate for the spindle or perhaps LMS might have one. Then I suggest you mount an ER-40 chuck to it so you can pass stuff through the spindle. MT mounted chucks do not allow for this capability and is, for me, a deal breaker.

Hi Adam, Aha, I see the sickness is starting early with you. Welcome to the happy world of "Tooling"!

Or more precisely, buying tooling - a life long journey. :) In order to hold a collet into the lathe spindle, you will typically need a draw bar, such as a Jeff showed, or perhaps as Mikey said, a backing plate with a locking ring. And yep, collets are used both in lathe spindles and mills. Although in a lathe, they mostly hold the work, but in a mill they hold the cutter.

Collets are a good first tooling choice for a lathe. As you surmised, they enable you to hold smaller work than can be grasped with the lathe chuck - unless like I did, you buy a smaller chuck, and a second, smaller lathe. But, not to worry, these things will come in due course.

Glenn

Last edited:
I bought a 5c collet chuck and matching backing plate for my 1127vf-lb from Matt. It’s a fuerda (gator?) set tru type and works well.

You can make one relatively easily. I am working on one for my 1030v at the moment. Its just a simple back plate that you bolt a piece of steel to, then cut the ER taper while it is mounted. It should have almost no run out if the taper is cut while mounted and the way you mount it is repeatable. You can also build in some set screws to true it up.

If you are interested, I can provide some pictures and models.

Thanks for the replies guys, somehow I didn't get notification that I had any so I'm just seeing this. Thanks for the explanations and advice, I did buy the backing plate from Matt and just waiting on that now.

I bought a 5c collet chuck and matching backing plate for my 1127vf-lb from Matt. It’s a fuerda (gator?) set tru type and works well.

Would you mind sending me the link to those? Are you saying you bought BOTH the chuck and the backing plate from Matt? That's funny because when I emailed their sales they had no suggestions when I asked about a collet chuck. Must have gotten the wrong person that day.

The 1127vf-lb uses a D1-4 back plate, yours uses a 3 bolt back plate so a different animal. That is why no one sells a bolt on collet chuck for your machine. My recommendation is to make or buy an extra thick back plate and cut the step down for the Shar's 5C chuck linked above. That is not a plain back chuck, it is a set-tru type for zeroing out the TIR. The alternative is to get a plain back chuck, mount it to a back plate with some wiggle room and you can lightly tap it to reduce the TIR and then cinch it down to the back plate. CDCO sells complete sets of 5C collets at a decent price, probably get a 1/64th set.

Out of curiosity, why would one choose the various collet types over the others? I see why you want collets, just not sure why you want 5C/ER40/etc..

Back