Newbie Plunge Cutting Question

also, I noticed that some of the cutters available are "right hand" and others are "left hand". My machine's spindle rotates clock-wise - does this mean that I can only use "left hand" cutters and should stay clear of "right hand"? Sorry guys for asking lots of dumb questions.

It might be worth a try. The price is not too bad. You might also look at the 3/8 solid carbide end mills.

Thanks for all the great info. The max rpm on my mill is 2500. Is a carbide end mill going to make any difference (I don't want to spend too much on them but I think I could afford 1/2 center cutting one for $ 40 plus tax - here is the link https://www.accusizetools.com/2-flute-carbide-tipped-end-mills-for-aluminum-centercutting/
Gah, Canada is so expensive.

I use solid carbide roughers in smaller sizes, I don't own any larger than 1/2" because of cost. I mostly only use end mills for smaller faces, pockets, and steps. I use a fly cutter for wide surfaces. In fact, I use the fly cutter as much as possible, because I can just touch up the cutter as needed, they also run much cooler than mills.
I like the carbide just because they last a long time. HSS will give a better finish, but who cares with a rougher, so carbide wins in my book.

As the others have said, different metals call for different mills. Buy them as projects come about and before long you will have a set of decent mills. It is not a bad idea to get a cheap set of Chinese mills in both 4 and 2 flute. They make fine back ups and mine get used more than I would have expected. If I have to mill of a bunch of steel and I am not concerned about the finish, out come the imports and the OSG's or whatever get saved for something better.

Right hand cut is standard, and what you need. There is also a right hand cut, left hand spiral. These put down pressure on the work, would not work well on your machine. Normally used in CNC router applications. I have no idea what a left hand cut end mill would be used for.

I just had a look at the lms mill, i see that it's a 500w motor, from my experience (limited take with pinch of salt ;-) ) on my mill which has a 750w motor. I found that moving down in what seemed a very small amount in size of end mill made a massive difference for me. I try to keep to 12mm (1/2 inch) or smaller cutters, i can get away with a 16mm cutter but it's always a bit more on the edge of being ok.

In my case it might be a machine regidity issue as it's a round coloum mill.

You may find theirs a sweet spot where you can maximise the cutters ability to cut vs the machines regidity.

Regarding the better end mills, i try and save my cobalt up market end mills for steel where i definetly see an improvment over regular hss mills.

I've got into the three flute end mills quite a lot but have only used them in smaller sizes, very handy for slots etc. as they cut a bit faster than two flute.

Stuart

Back