Newbee Needing Help Picking Tool Post For 18x60 Lathe

it didn't come with a steady rest

Hey John,
The title says "Help Picking Tool Post" yet your first line is about a steady rest?
Maybe you've been googling too fast......:)

Since your link is for a tool post, I'll go with that......

The figure of merit (as pointed out by ronboult here: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/quick-change-tool-post.35233/#post-298487)
is really the swing over the top slide. You want to be able to mount a tool and still be able to move it up/down as required to set the cutting edge at centre. Also consider parting tools, the blades are tall and therefore the tool-holder needs to be able to sit low.

-brino

I'm also confused. You say help you pick one yet you say you are already determined on getting a certain one. I don't like things about my dove tail quick change so I'm going to make my own.

for an 18" swing i'd definitely go with a CA. Bigger is usually better and if youre in bewteen sizes go with the bigger one. I use a cxa on my 12" PW, and it looks just fine. Also you might find deals when at auctions for larger tool posts.

Agree with toag, a CXA is just the right size for a 16" swing, the CA is just a bit too large so for an 18" swing its likely to be a CA or DA. I would measure the compound to lathe centerline then look at the dimensions for the QCTP to ensure you have a reasonable adjustment range up/down with respects to different sized tools and centerline. Also go with the Dorian.

Like others said, you need to take measurements, if its old American iron a 18 inch lathe may actually be 20". If its from China or Taiwan, 18" means just barely 18". CXA or CA are probably your best bets, myself I think if a lathe's dimensions put it right on the edge of two different size toolposts, I would go with the smaller. On the rare occasion that I wanted more bigger, I could always slap on the 4 way post, if you don't have one, they are easy to pick up cheap.

michael

Back