Newbe looking for a lathe.

Stephan

Registered
Registered
Hi
Im looking for a lathe that I can use at home. I have been looking but the prices vary a lot. Im a newbe and always wanted to try my hand at working a lathe. I repair machinery I buy from estate sales and I always find myself buying parts I feel I can make. I am looking for used but without knowing whats a good buy or not has led me to seek help. I came across this South Bend it needs a motor and belts. It comes with a bunch of tooling. He's asking $550. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

00q0q_4lfMGIQfohc_600x450.jpg

00q0q_4lfMGIQfohc_600x450.jpg

Look for wear on the ways, see if there's any spindle slop, Beat him up on the price and your in business.

Welcome. Check the lead screws for back lash. See how far you turn till something moves. Go in both directions. Once it moves in one direction you ade against one side of the thread. See how far you have to turn in the other direction to hit the other side of the thread. 1/4 turn will be too much. Anything less that that can be fixed. $550.00 is a great price, go for it.

"Billy G"

south bend model a.......... check
chuck.............................. check
collets............................. check
assorted morse tapers...... check
$550............................... check

what were you waiting for again?

That SB is a good buy, they are good lathes, there is still plenty of parts around and support is probably THE best of all lathes.

Thanks for all the input Im going to take a look at the SB, he's about an hour from me so maybe its what Im looking for.

Buy it you wont be sorry.......................................... S.Bend's are forgiving

Stephen--I would jump on that one fast or it will be gone---and then regret sets in---even if it doesn't come with the bench-which it probably does--it is well worth it and it is not too far away---Dave

Back