Newb w/ CNC Area Clear. contour -vs- uni-directional. Clear choice?

countryguy

Active User
Registered
Evening everyone! Honestly I do wish I knew more in certain areas and could contribute more here but I love to read ya'll on "today's posts".

So I'm into phase 2 of my learning. more Axe stuff... :) Time to learn Cad to CAM & Area Clears. (image below). With area-clear via DolphinCAM Mill Pro I have several options but most of all I wonder if there is a clear choice to using contour (goround 360' till clear) or the Uni directional with longer run time, but offers X positive attriutes? Maybe less stress, better finish, something I assume besides preference?? Setup is a .675 5 flute Carbide. 15% stepover which I've seen work well w/ my Mill, cutter and this 1045 steel. Note- Both methods are set to climb mill as well. I can also ramp in, zigzag in.

I planned on trying each method upon one side since I have two to mess up :) Thought I would ask here as well. Any clear winner to the method in your humble opinion?

I have a small hobby 2hp mill. It is not the most rigid as yet but fun!
Looking forward to the simulation and then getting into this towards the middle of the week.

areaClear.png

areaClear.png

Back