New user about to buy Atlas 618

I suspect the larger lathe you posted most recently may in fact be an Atlas/Craftsman, as it has a flat rather than V-ways bed. I think most other metal lathe manufacturer made V-ways beds.

Look for an Identification plate on the bed. It's probably an Atlas/Craftsman 10" or 12" lathe.

If you need a counter shaft for a 6-18 Atlas lathe they are available on Ebay.

Up until mid 1942 the nameplate was generic and was located near the center of the rear of the bed. The serial number and other info was stamped on the top of the right end of the front way. After that the nameplate was on the right end of the bed with the serial number and model number stamped there-on As Far As I Know. What was done with the V or H for the counter shaft type and the T for Timken I don't know but by 1945 they had discontinued the vertical counter shaft and babbit bearings. Probably most of the Atlas production during those years went to England or Australia so we may never know.

That last one is an Atlas also- 10" I think. I can see the nameplate at the end of the bed but it's covered by paint or dreck
Looks pretty worn to me, I'd probably pass on that one- but it might be worth a look

Last edited:
Yours and the first do not have the countershaft, motor direct to spindle not good.

Last one is what both the first need to look like.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I bought the 618. Nice older lady, Told me her husband died unexpectedly, now she's trying to clean out the house and move. I told her it was missing a few pieces and she promised to take a look for them so I sent her pictures of a counter shaft assembly, 2 step motor pulley, draw bar for milling attachment, steady rest, and the 2 missing knobs. Theres a whole shop in the back, she was reluctant to show me though. Probably worried about theft, completely understandable. Anyway I think going to get an invite to the pre-viewing before the estate sale, maybe ill find some other neat stuff.

Yours and the first do not have the countershaft, motor direct to spindle not good.

Last one is what both the first Ned to look like.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
You can see the countershaft assembly for the craftsman behind the lathe in the last pic of my first post, right next to the motor I have picked out.

The seller contacted me to let me know the counter shaft was found. So I went back to grab it. I also made this bench with 1/4” steel plate top and 2x2 square tube legs and I’ve been slowing cleaning up and assembling the lathe. I found the 1/3 hp motor in the scrap pile at work, It came off a bad centrifugal pump. I realized the other brand new 1/2hp motor I had was ccw rotation only, and that wasn’t going to work with the configuration I wanted.

Attachments

• C40B0857-22CB-494D-AEBA-C58A864A00DA.jpeg
    C40B0857-22CB-494D-AEBA-C58A864A00DA.jpeg
    539.5 KB · Views: 12
  • FD7E35D4-59E3-4EBA-8256-6641A4AA90D5.jpeg
    FD7E35D4-59E3-4EBA-8256-6641A4AA90D5.jpeg
    533.1 KB · Views: 10
Nice! That looks like one sturdy table.

A 1/3 HP motor should be fine on a 6" lathe. But if you did need to use the 1/2 HP CCW only motor, it should be modifiable - just more work.

Back