New to me SB Mill, need options for tooling

Thanks!
Same here, I just get puzzled looks.

Also looking for operating manual. Did a search for that, only found parts list.

As it stands, I would need to measure the collet ID, and buy only end mills with that sized shaft?
Is the NMTB a respected setup? What else would work for tool holding in this design?

I am pretty sure NMTB 30 is a more modern machine taper. If I am wrong, I still think it is a more "wanted" type of taper for professional machines, for instance. I have a BP, with an R8 spindle. It is fine for me, but many truly industrial machines have NMTB style spindle tapers. R8 is probably more widespread, but there is plenty of 30 tooling out there.

NMTB is National Machine Tool Builders, an organization to promote and set standards of design for machine tools; the NMTB standards for spindle nose design is of quite long standing with the numbered milling machine tapers perhaps going back as far as the 1920s, and were well established by the 1930s, the numbers start at 10 and progress by even 10 increments, at least up to 60. The one shown on the SB mill is a variation of the drawbar type, another is the Brown & Sharpe camlock, where there is a cutout in the side of each adapter or cutting tool that is engaged by a cam through one side of the spindle. There is a quick change tool system for milling spindles that also uses the angled setscrew retention feature; I do not know if it uses the same NMTB taper adapters as the SB mill.

Measuring with my very precise HF plastic calipers, it appears the collet opening is 3/4 inch. So can I use any end mill with a 3/4 inch shaft? What about the set screws? Does one side need to be flat?

63CE7BB1-DC98-4E47-8F66-A4782737ABB4.jpeg

The setscrews are not for holding an end mill, but rather they hold the collet adapter into the 30 taper spindle, I hoped that the name on the adapter might give a clue as to what collet it uses. There was another quick change system made by Universal, called Quick Switch, maybe same compamy made both, perhaps a favorite search on E bay may find you some pieces or info.

The setscrews are not for holding an end mill, but rather they hold the collet adapter into the 30 taper spindle, I hoped that the name on the adapter might give a clue as to what collet it uses. There was another quick change system made by Universal, called Quick Switch, maybe same compamy made both, perhaps a favorite search on E bay may find you some pieces or info.
Yea, I took them out to get the adapter out, but it stayed put. Admittedly, I did not try very hard or knock it with a wrench or anything.

so a round 3/4 inch shank tool should chuck right up?

Back